• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii Red Ignition Coil Question

kmoy2002

Where are you all getting the "red" coil from these days? Every site I've looked at has it backordered or out of stock. I have the 1.8 resistor on the car. I just need the coil.

Alternatively, is the consensus now to run the blue coil, which is readily available, and ditch the resistor?

'73 2002tii Fjord Metallic Blue

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic

And all the "red" coils I've seen recently are raw aluminum housings with a red sticker.  However, for all you folks who like to keep their engine compartments nice 'n tidy, I did find a perfect match for the Bosch Blue Coil paint...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, John76 said:

And ... The BBC paint color is????

Please tell me it's fjord.  It will match my engine bay. 

John

PS: Authentic factory coil is black.

For those folks who thought an upgrade from stock tii to “Bosch Super” [VW] specs, HA!  Black or Red coil with proper 1.8 ohm ballast resistor is fine. Nothing more needed.

B4BA22A5-605E-4218-B1F3-7AF1B76E53DF.jpeg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

21 hours ago, John76 said:

And ... The BBC paint color is????

Figured someone would ask...

The brand is "Color Decor"--I believe it came from our local True Value hardware store.  The color is called "blue" (duh!) but the cap is a good representation of the Bosch coil color.  The code on the can is "CDS4" and "527796"--the latter is probably the SKU.  It's  really good match, too.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've had good luck finding Bosch red coils by searching on ebay.  The trick is to try to find one of the German made ones that are actually painted red.  All of the new ones are made in Brazil and aren't the greatest quality from what I've seen.  I just did a quick search and couldn't find any German ones, but there was these which appear to be the correct Bosch part # 0 221  119 030 in the picture (DISCLAIMER:  I've got no affiliation with the seller and can't guarantee that these are correct, that's the buyers responsibility ?)  Search and ye shall find...

OR, you might consider a BERU coil instead of one of the newer Bosch ones...

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Nissan 720 2.4 L4 Gas Carb 2389Cc Actual Oe Part 2 Required. Nissan 720 2.4 L4 GAS CARB 2389cc, Actual OE part 2 Required 1985. 2 x Ignition Coils Bosch Bbhk-52221-2-1563588. Part Type Ignition Coil Set.

Or this one

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

<p>Lamborghini countach ignition coil BOSCH 0061601335. </p><p>New fast shipping. </p>

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with others that the modern silver Bosch coils are junk, have had several fail on customer Porsches.

I like MSD Blaster coils, have them in all my old cars, and in many customer cars, have never had one fail, and they are cheap and readily available. The "high vibration" version is black and looks less out of place than the regular red version.

The MSD Blaster has 0.7 ohms primary resistance, so many of us would need to use some form of ballast resistor. I have a 123ignition distributor in my 2002tii which stipulates 1.0 ohms of primary resistance, found a 0.4-ohm NOS Bosch resistor on the shelf at my shop, apparently a Mercedes part. The original 0.9-ohm resistor from my 2002tii resides in our Jensen-Healey roadster's engine bay, along with an MSD Blaster coil :)

WWW.AUTOHAUSAZ.COM

Find Bosch Ballast Resistor; Blue Bracket; 0.4 Ohm SKU: 1194915-0227901012 0227901012 at discount prices in our extensive Mercedes auto parts catalog. AutohausAZ offers a large selection of Bosch parts online. Verify bracket color and/or resistance value of existing unit prior to...

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Wondering about the interest in these days.

This one seems to be a shelf guard:

50226d3b-bbff-4a90-a6e8-65b9ec840037?rul
WWW.EBAY-KLEINANZEIGEN.DE

Hat in einem 71er 2002tii gesessen. Nichts für Motoren, die Unterdruck brauchen. Verteiler 0 231...,BMW 2002 ti tii Transistorzündung TSZh in Braunschweig - Braunschweig

Has sat in a 71 2002tii. Not for engines that need vacuum.
Distributor 0 231 188 002
Coil 0 221 122 009
Box 0 227 100 011
Scope as shown. The colors of the wires are unflatteringly chosen and one branch is snapped off. Maybe the resistor was bypassed via 15a at the starter, in any case there is no relay included. Price is incl. shipping in Germany. No guarantees, no return.

henn