• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carburetion problem on my 72 tii

Pier82

hello, I'm trying to fix myself as many things as possible on my tii late-72 and I noticed some problems on the carburetion (I think). At idle I hear some pops but a bigger problem, in addition to consuming really a lot (with about half a tank I did just over 100km), at a regular pace (2500/3000 rpm) the engine is not regular and has like holes and tears. In acceleration it pulls well. I checked the compression (all four cylinders around 13 bar when hot) I changed points, condenser, spark plugs, fuel pump and I clean distributor contact. Is there anything else worth can I  change and/or check? I am terrified by the idea that may be something wrong with the Kugelfischer, here in Italy almost nobody is able to revise and calibrate it and having to do it scares me because it would be a lot of money. It is clear that sooner or later it will has to be overhauled but honestly when I tried the car it looked fine and I breathed a sigh of relief ... Thank you all for any suggestion.

P.S. as always I apologize for my English: I get help from Google but I think there are always some errors....

Your English is fine, in the archives there are several articles on setting up the k-fish that cover the steps to tune it up, excess fuel consumption may be related to to many things before doing much else to the system get the fuel pressure checked. As for people to tune it in Italy the K-fish and Spica pumps used on Alfas are kissing cousins.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

As for people to tune it in Italy the K-fish and Spica pumps used on Alfas are kissing cousins.

While true, the thing is that Alfa never subjected anyone but Americans (and Canadians, guilt by association) to SPICA.  It was a U.S. emissions regulations solution starting in 1969 (there were no U.S. spec 1968 Alfas) that they didn't feel compelled to use in Europe and they just kept right on going with dual carbs for many more years.  Thus mechanics in Europe are even more mystified with SPICA than Kugelfischer.  For sticklers, I think there may have been very limited use of SPICA in Europe actually, such as in the Perkins diesel engine put in some Alfas, but much fewer of those than tii's, 520i's, and the odd Peugeot running K-fish.

-Gary

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AlfaBMWGuy said:

While true, the thing is that Alfa never subjected anyone but Americans (and Canadians

Thanks Gary, you learn something every day.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Good news is that Kugelfischer pumps very rarely 'go bad' - your problem is probably not the pump itself. Very high fuel consumption can be caused by the cold start injector sticking open (electrical problem or mechanical) or the Warm Up Regulator on the back of the Kugelfischer pump not extending fully.

Here's the fault -finding guide:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

12 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Thanks Gary, you learn something every day.

While most manufacturers were slapping air pumps and making other emasculating changes on their single carb cars for 1968, Alfa took the extra year to come up with a solution that would still give the same performance as their dual sidedrafts.  So while SPICA did meet emissions, it still performed like an Alfa at least until post 1974 changes (SPICA and otherwise) took their toll.  1975-1981 SPICA before Bosch EFI is nothing to write home about, but properly setup, 1969-1974 is, much like a tii.

17 hours ago, jireland2002 said:

If these issues are a new development - maybe change fuel filter and check timing.  How did the old spark plugs look?

1660241615843340418418172315094.thumb.jpg.b0e5b9ed2c4ccb4382c051ac14891304.jpg

on 2 cilynders there was bad gap that I had adjusted (i don't recognise which ones but I think the darkests)