• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure sender M10

Z00Z

I'm replacing the "idiot light" sender with a real pressure gauge.  What is the thread specification?  The sender mounts at the rear of the cylinder head, just before the firewall.  I need the thread specification in order to replace it with an adapter to feed the pressure gauge. 

There are two different thread specs, depending on the particular head/distributor flange you have.  Easiest thing to do is pull the oil pressure sender and measure the threads.  It is either M12x1.5 or M10x1.0.

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 2

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

29 minutes ago, 02jake said:

run both the light and the gauge. i think IE sells the adapter

+ 1.  on the two terminal sender.  And the adapter also gets the gauge sender unit (which is larger than the factory one just for the warning light) away from the firewall.  

BTW, the VDO gauge illuminates the low oil pressure light at 14.7 psi vs 7 for the factory sender.  So don't be surprised if the warning light comes on a little sooner once the gauge is installed.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

53 minutes ago, chargin said:

I’ve had the VDO idiot/Gauge sender for 6 years so far 

I installed the sender without the adaptor just like this 47 years ago and it’s still working. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Custom adapter for the M10.  Guaranteed to leak as much as any other with pipe threads.:)  Retired to the parts box.

Parts list:

1 used M10 pressure sensor gutted

1 nut retapped for pipe threads

some welding rod and sparks

2 bushigs

1 street el.

For the S14 I use a Bosch dual temperature/pressure sensor mounted on the filter head. Signals feed to the ECU and displayed on the Haltech display panel along with alarm messages and lights for low oil pressure and over temperature.

Adapter Oil Pressure.jpg

Haltech PT Senso.jpg

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.