• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grille J-Hooks missing from plater?

bergie33

I don't know if my j hooks for the grilles got lost at the plater or I misplaced them before taking everything there. Seems odd that I'm missing both. Are they made out of aluminum and they dissolved in the acid cleaning bath? I don't know if I want to spring for s new set or try and make my own from $1 worth of bolts. Anyone made their own? 

20220419_185520.jpg

Edited by bergie33

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

They are aluminum. They are only a couple of bucks each, coat the threads with paraffin wax to ease the grippy aluminum threads.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Those J hooks can be easily made from some soft aluminum, copper or brass rod from a hobby shop.  IIRC the threads are 4x.9mm--you can double check that with the threads in the plastic thumb nuts.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite