• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock ride height and springs for 72 tii?

sealions518

To start - I have searched and searched the forums and haven't had luck finding a real concrete answer. I have a 72 tii and would like the ride height to be stock (or very close). Somewhere between the birth of this car and me getting it, the stock rear springs were cut and the front spring spacers were rotated to the top. This makes, for me at least, a car that sits too low. The top of the arch of the rear wheel well sits just under 22" off the ground and there's only about 1" between this and the top of the tire. As a side note - the car has Bilstein shocks.

Can anyone recommend what springs I need and what height I should be looking for? Anything else I might be missing?

Cheers!!

Stock 1971 or stock 2021?

There's 50 years of sag in the middle, there.

My 2c is to find a ride height you like, find springs that 

height or a bit shorter, and be ready to shim 'em.

You can START with 'stock', but at this point, 

that's a floating target...

heh.

t

uses threaded sleeves when that last 1/2" matters.

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Although Toby’s correct in theory, it’s pretty hard to tell the difference. The first photo below is of my ‘76 in April 1977. The second photo below is of my ‘76, still using the original springs and spacers, in January 2019. See the difference that 42 years has made? I’m assuming there is some difference — largely because it seems like there should be — but it’s pretty darned subtle.

Regards,

Steve

6FDA2C26-931A-413C-ACB3-6FD5D8D0BCE3.jpeg

6EFA43E8-D40F-493B-BDB4-4043FEDBAAFD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

US spec 2002 Springs 'n Spacers 101

Factory springs came with colored paint stripes on 'em.  If they're still visible, the stripes are decoded in the factory shop manual.   Of course that doesn't mean that the springs on your car aren't either not original, or not cut.  Cut springs are easy to spot, though as you'll see that the cut end looks quite different from the as-manufactured end.  Tourings and Turbos used different springs, and cars going to less developed countries were fitted with stiffer springs too; the factory manual has a good explanation of all the springs and their fitments. 

Rear ride height can be varied just a little less than a half inch by using different thickness upper spring mounts:  the thickest have 3 dots drilled into the rubber, the thinnest; one dot.  Difference is about 10mm.

AFAIK all US spec 68-72 2002s came from the factory with the same height springs, with those 10 mm or so aluminum spacers (to meet the 1968 Federal minimum bumper height) interposed between the body and front struts, and (I think) a 2 dot rear upper spring mount.  I'm not completely sure on that latter--at least both my cars had two dot mounts from the factory, admittedly a small sample. 

In 1973, to meet the interim Federal bumper height requirements, BMW fitted springs that raised the car about an inch; those same taller springs were carried over into all the 74-76 squarelights.   Thus, a 73 roundie, or any squarelight with its original wheels/tires, springs and spacers will sit about an inch higher than an equally original 68-72 car.  

My '69 still has its stock springs (but no front spacer) and wheel/tire combination that is the same diameter as the OEM tires; from ground to the center of the wheel opening's lower edge is 24 1/2" front; 23 1/4" rear.  It is equipped with Bilstein gas struts in front, and very old DeCarbon gas shocks in the rear.  

mike

• Thanks 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have gone from bone stock 1973 2002 Tii Bilstein HDs with out strut top spacers & larger anti-sway bars to H&R Sports with Bilstein HDs which is the perfect recipe for 2002 suspensions.

Mike's measurements 24 1/2" front; 23 1/4" rear for stock ground to fender lip measurements are correct for stock 1973 Tii as well.  

Before.jpg

Vern Mid America 2019.jpg

Edited by adawil2002
  • Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Does your car have air conditioning? The original Behr system using a York compressor, mounting bracket and idler pulley weighs 30 lbs.  This does not include the condenser, fan, evaporator assembly nor the hoses and wiring harness.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

Does your car have air conditioning? The original Behr system using a York compressor, mounting bracket and idler pulley weighs 30 lbs.  This does not include the condenser, fan, evaporator assembly nor the hoses and wiring harness.

Yes, my car has a Behr system that I believe is all original.

8 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

I have gone from bone stock 1973 2002 Tii Bilstein HDs with out strut top spacers & larger anti-sway bars to H&R Sports with Bilstein HDs which is the perfect recipe for 2002 suspensions.

Mike's measurements 24 1/2" front; 23 1/4" rear for stock ground to fender lip measurements are correct for stock 1973 Tii as well.  

Before.jpg

Vern Mid America 2019.jpg

The rear end of the second pic def sits lower than mine but the front looks the same. This is without any spacers correct? How do you like the ride?

I have exactly the same spring/shock/swaybar setup on my carbureted 73 as Andrew does with his 73 tii.  Excellent compromise of daily driver ride and still good handling.  Lowers the car about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches and really cuts down on body roll.  

WRT air conditioning:  all US spec '02s had aftermarket A/C.  It's very unlikely that the installing dealer would fit stiffer springs along with the A/C, so the springs would be the same with or without A/C.  And the additional weight would be minimal and probably wouldn't noticeably affect ride height.  

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, sealions518 said:

The rear end of the second pic def sits lower than mine but the front looks the same. This is without any spacers correct? How do you like the ride?

No spacers & stock perch rubber. The car is considerably more sure footed than a stock spring & sway barred Tii. 

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40