• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Some Advice on Rear Adjustable Springs

Captain Manly

Yep It's me again, gotta another question for the 02 Gods.

About a year ago I changed out my rear Eibachs for Suspension Techniques set up.

I don't know the spring rate on them but they do rub the wheel edge even though I have the adjustable plate set for 2" gap, the rubbing only happens on rough city streets and distinct transitions on the highway or freeway.

Furthermore after driving the gap between the wheel well and tire changes from drive to drive; more in some areas and less on others.

My current set up is Bilstines HD, BBS 15"x7" with BF Goodrich G-Force Sports 195/50/15s

Would anyone know what the spring load would be on the STs or is there another spring I can use that is recommended? 

TIA!!

Justin 

45 minutes ago, Captain Manly said:

I don't know the spring rate on them but they do rub the wheel edge even though I have the adjustable plate set for 2" gap,

Are you saying the wheel (or tire) is rubbing the spring?  That sounds like a wheel offset problem.  But if it suddenly started happening after some time without the problem, I'd guess something has come loose.  

47 minutes ago, Captain Manly said:

Furthermore after driving the gap between the wheel well and tire changes from drive to drive; more in some areas and less on others.

Again, are you referring to clearance between the tire and the fender lip, or between the tire/wheel and the inner wheel well?  If the former, follow Ace's suggestion about rolling the fender lip.  If it's on the inside, then there's either something seriously wrong with your rear suspension or the wheel's offset isn't compatible with your current setup.  This gap can also vary with weight in your trunk (including gas in the tank).

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

57 minutes ago, Captain Manly said:

Yep It's me again, gotta another question for the 02 Gods.

About a year ago I changed out my rear Eibachs for Suspension Techniques set up.

I don't know the spring rate on them but they do rub the wheel edge even though I have the adjustable plate set for 2" gap, the rubbing only happens on rough city streets and distinct transitions on the highway or freeway.

My current set up is Bilstines HD, BBS 15"x7" with BF Goodrich G-Force Sports 195/50/15s

Would anyone know what the spring load would be on the STs or is there another spring I can use that is recommended? 

TIA!!

Justin 

It sounds like your talking about two different problems, the wheel rubbing the springs? Or Shocks? And the tire hitting the top of the wheel well? Or maybe I'm misreading.

Pictures and specifications would help a lot.

Do you have the factory bump stops?

What is the offset of your wheels?

What kind of adjustable plate do you have?

What is your ride height?

Sorry, let me clarify.

No tire rub on the springs or shocks, plenty of room there.

I am talking about the wheel opening and the tire there.  There is a good 1/2" width of body material that makes it impossible to roll the opening like the front wheel openings.

I am using rear adjustable ride height perches and springs from Suspension Techniques, here is Irelands version: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/rear-adjustable-height-spring-perches-2002-e9/ 

Would have gotten them but were not on the market yet.  

Hope that helps clarify things.

TIA - again!

Justin 

the gap between the wheel well and tire changes from drive to drive;

side to side?  Something's loose, or you have a bad case of dead bushings.

up and down?  Something's moving around in your spring perch pack, and your

ride height is changing.

a little more wheel inset would be ideal, of course.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

I recommend rolling your fenders.

1 hour ago, Captain Manly said:

Sorry, let me clarify.

No tire rub on the springs or shocks, plenty of room there.

I am talking about the wheel opening and the tire there.  There is a good 1/2" width of body material that makes it impossible to roll the opening like the front wheel openings.

I am using rear adjustable ride height perches and springs from Suspension Techniques, here is Irelands version: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/rear-adjustable-height-spring-perches-2002-e9/ 

Would have gotten them but were not on the market yet.  

Hope that helps clarify things.

TIA - again!

Justin 

A fender roller will fix this issue. But like Toby said if your gap is changing with each drive something is worn out or loose and you should probably find what that is. 

pictures.  pictures.  pictures.  so much easier to see the problem than play 20 question to guess it...

sounds like fender roll needed or wheels have less than 25mm offset.

for fender roll..yes..there is a lot of metal there.  it takes a lot of work, especially on a squaretail car. 

if the gap really is changing from drive to drive, you have much bigger problems.  subframe mounts, ta bushings, rust in subframe mount area, etc, etc, etc...

• Like 1

2xM3