• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Timing Chain Tensioner Guide Rail Shortage?

Morris

I'm about to start building 2 engines and have all parts assembled except for the Tensioner Guides.  I have done a pretty exhaustive online search and no one seems to have them in stock.  Anyone know where a couple are available or the reason for the apparent shortage?  I've got 4 or 5 decent used ones but I'd like to round a couple of new ones up.

Thanks

Guard.png.19153c2f1a697df26172c39acfa807ba.png

Yes, they have become quite scarce, hopefully will be temporary.

Try the Dealer maybe, only lead I have is here:

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for FEBI 25075 ‎11311262273 BMW E34 E32 E24 M30 M10 Chain Sliding Rail Gleitschiene at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I've had one on order from our local dealer for 2 months. Got a call Monday from them.

"BMW will not be doing a run of the rails till end of this year or early 2023. The expected delivery is not till spring of 2023"

I hope they are not blowing smoke up my back side. I did leave the pre-paid part on order, hoping for the best.

Appreciate the help.  Ordered one of the FEBI off of ebay (ouch, $130 with shipping).  One build is a bone stock and will get one of the used ones I have that show almost no wear.  The new one will go on the hot rod.  I too am always worried about aftermarket quality.

10 minutes ago, Morris said:

Appreciate the help.  Ordered one of the FEBI off of ebay (ouch, $130 with shipping).  One build is a bone stock and will get one of the used ones I have that show almost no wear.  The new one will go on the hot rod.  I too am always worried about aftermarket quality.

Re: fitment of some aftermarket units = in my experience, sometimes the 'hook' on the rail doesn't align with the 'slot' in the tensioner piston. I've never seen a tension rail break; however, I've seen various types of carnage when folks use the solid tensioner and/or when they're not adjusted properly.

Side-but-related story: I'm tearing down an M10 recently built in the UK (not Lester) with an assortment of issues, the engine can't have more than a few hours on it. This is the tension rail which was installed in the engine... perhaps they couldn't source a new part??

timing-chain-tension-rail.thumb.jpg.c6797ded453339f575b60c5e414cb6f6.jpg

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

I wonder if there would be a business opportunity

Pretty small market niche even though they are used on other engines as well.

More supply chain issues  affecting availability. 

Good news is Main bearings seem to be available again so lets keep our fingers crossed same thing happens for tensioners?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT:

never mind — when you order it, they will let you know it’s actually on back order. 

WWW.BIMMERWORLD.COM

New guide rail will help ensure proper chain tension. Genuine replacement for BMW part #11311262273.

They also have STD sized main bearings as well ?

Edited by eviction_party
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Appear to be back in stock for Febi Bilstien.  Are off brands okay ?? or is OEM recommended ?

Clicked links .. neither of those appear to be correct for M10 engine.
   The part number I use for the M10 timing chain tensin rail is 11311262273

• Thanks 1