• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sudden leaning of mixture after short storage (40DCOE’s)

sam1904

All,

I have a 76’ 2002 that I did a 40DCOE install on around a year ago and installed an A/F gauge. The car has been running really well and other than a very minor ‘transition’ stutter sounds and runs fantastically all the way to red line. OK, it soundED, and rAN well until recently….

• The car was parked for around three weeks recently and prior to that was running great, A/F ratio from low 13/1 climbing to 15/1 ish at higher RPM
  • After storage (or whatever happened) the situation has had a step change.
  • The car now runs far leaner and although the change is not as significant at idle it now leans out to 17-18-19/1 at higher RPM’s (E.g. 4000) and especially in 3rd / 4th gear and associated speeds.
  • As expected with this A/F ration the car stumbles badly above 3-4000, especially under load.
  • Initially I had wondered if the change from 70F temps previously to 30F the first few times I had the issue created the problem given denser intake air. Subsequently I have had the chance to drive the car back in the 60/70F range and the issue persists
  • I pulled the plugs and while they all look lean no single plug, or pair seem to be worse
  • I pulled the jets and blew them out with no luck.

Before I dig further, and blindly does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Sam

Plugs.jpg

Motor.jpg

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

First I would soak the jets overnight in carb cleaner or denatured alcohol then blow them out I would also make sure you needle valves can move freely, the crap they sell as gasoline these days tends to leave varnish when it evaporates.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Hard to believe gas would evaporate and clog things in three weeks. But nothing else has changed. So do jets,  spray carb cleaner into passages. As above, make fuel supply is good. How old is the gas in the tank? Maybe clogged pickup? 

Did the plugs on the right side of the picture come from the same carb?

Because that cracking of the deposits is one indication of significant detonation.

Check your float levels, needle valves and check the little filters in the inlets of the carbs,

if you have them.  Also confirm that you're getting fuel flow-

a plugged inlet screen can deliver enough to idle, but not enough

to accelerate hard.  You'd see that as the a/f trending lean after

reading ok on initial launch- the car will run a LONG time on just the

fuel in the bowls.   And if junk gets into the bottoms of the bowls,

it'll cause problems for ages, since-

-it's hard to see

-there can be a lot of it.

And yes, older fuel (etha-suck) can formulate junk out of thin air, given time.

Related only by 'carb'- we have a carbureted lawn tractor, and it's 

had an intermittent fuel delivery since we got it (well used)

I finally got it to die repeatably, and found a small chunk of broken old hose

wedged in the fuel inlet, 

partially blocking the needle valve.  Blew that out and it's running better than

it ever did.  But that hose chunk had been in there for years...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL