• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite 02 color

steve k.

35 minutes ago, 69Bimmer02 said:

Yes, Steve, my car is an original 1969 Bristol 2002 I purchased from the original owner as a barn find.  At least that was the condition when I got it having had sit for many years in his backyard.  Interestingly enough the dealer invoice he gave me with the paperwork from 1969 simply stated it as Grey.  I guess times were simpler back then.  I agree with you about the registry comments, I hope we can get more adoption over time.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff,

Beautiful!

And Bristol is pretty rare on a U.S.-spec ‘69 2002: it seems like Max Hoffman was not quick to order Bristol examples. Any sign from either (a.) the Archives report that it was other than a Hoffman Motors import, or (b.) the original owner that it was a European Delivery car? 

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Thanks, Jeff,

Beautiful!

And Bristol is pretty rare on a U.S.-spec ‘69 2002: it seems like Max Hoffman was not quick to order Bristol examples. Any sign from either (a.) the Archives report that it was other than a Hoffman Motors import, or (b.) the original owner that it was a European Delivery car? 

Best regards,

Steve

No, the original owner simply told me that they were having problems with Polaris paint quality at the dealership in 1969.  They recommended to him a grey so he agreed, that was Bristol I guess.  Hoffman confirmed it was shipped that way.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 69Bimmer02 said:

No, the original owner simply told me that they were having problems with Polaris paint quality at the dealership in 1969.  They recommended to him a grey so he agreed, that was Bristol I guess.  Hoffman confirmed it was shipped that way.

Very interesting! (Especially since I had a 30-year feud with BMW — unbeknownst to BMW — over the Polaris paint on my ‘76! ?)

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I even repainted my Sahara tii, Sahara and there are some of you out there (cough, cough, uhh, Jim Gerock) who despise earth tone colors (Sahara, Nevada).  To me, Inca is a ticket magnet.   I'm from the school of if you want an 02 in a certain color, go find one in that color, especially ti/tii.  To me, repainting a tii in another color is sacrilegious. 

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

• Like 3

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner