• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 240/5 fit in 69 2002 tunnel

Pdxguy

Looking at swapping the current 4 sp with a 240/5. Read several posts, trying to make sure I am comparing apples to apples. 

1. Will this fit the tunnel without modification (I believe it may as it is more square than the 245 from a previous post)

2. Not the more desirable 245/5, but was rebuilt by BMW in Germany. If I understood correctly, the weaker internals would have been replaced when rebuilt. Dependable, sturdy?

Using it as daily driver with occasional track days. 

Thanks much,

Dennis

Hey Dennis, 

I had the 240 in my base model 74 2002 without any trans tunnel modification needed (size wise). I also never had an issue with the transmission for the 8 years I had it in there... the motors I went through are a different story. lol. 

I think you need to make sure you have the right shifter tower, but I cannot recall what those specs are (240 vs 245). 

For some reason my text is missing

I ran a USED 240/5 speed for Five years without issue, we read that it is not as strong as a 245 but I haven't heard of one blowing up yet, I beat on mine with a spare in the garage just in case but ended up selling it

I did need to massage the tunnel at the rear of the transmission 

The only reason it's out of my car is that I went to a 6 Speed, and of course added about 100hp, Just like bianchini ??

5 Speed conversion (5).JPG

5 Speed Kit.JPG

Ireland Engineering made me this rear brace before the Bluntech one was available: 

IMG_0679.JPG

Edited by chargin
  • Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

It will work fine.

Dependable? Yes

Sturdy? More than sturdy enough for the type of driving you describe.

Will it fit the tunnel without mods? Yes:

I rubber mallet massaged my tunnel before my 240 went in. Once installed I took a look, went huh, and rubber mallet massaged the tunnel back to original. If you need to do anything at all it will be minimal and only across from the slave cyl.  You can check and adjust clearance if necessary after install with a long lever/pry bar.

• Like 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I've got a 240 as well, no problems yet.

There are 2 different versions, one with a single trans mount, one with a dual.  Your trans crossmember will need to be made accordingly.  I had a dual mount version but only had room to install one mount because the IE downpipe was in the way of the other.

You'll have to cut the stock brackets off.

I had to clearance a few spots with a hammer (around the slave cylinder) and then do some pushing using a crowbar to get a little extra clearance here and there.

Also I highly recommend attaching the reverse switch wires before it's all the way up.  I didn't, and currently don't have reverse lights because the only way to attach them without dropping the trans would be to drill a large hole in the trans tunnel to gain access.

My homemade crossmember bolted through the floorpan, I'll redo this eventually with something easier to remove.

20190625_193910.jpg

• Like 2

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

While this topic is current, I'd like to ask a question about tunnel modification(s) needed to swap in an M42 and G245 drivetrain into my '71 2002.  The donor car is a 1993 318i with LSD.  I've looked through threads and blogs about M42 swaps and haven't yet seen a clear indication of exactly where the tunnel needs to be massaged.  I'm gearing up for rust repair and panel beating on the chassis and figured it might be easier and cleaner if I simply made a little slit in the tunnel where it needs to be enlarged and weld in a small lens-shaped piece of make-up sheet metal, then hammer it out.  Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction or offer advice?  Thank you.  

9 hours ago, Stephane said:

And i had also to reduce a little bit the tunnel near the slave cylinder

20210112_221050.jpg

Isn't anyone going to comment that the slave cylinder is installed upside down?

• Like 4

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, The Geologist said:

While this topic is current, I'd like to ask a question about tunnel modification(s) needed to swap in an M42 and G245 drivetrain into my '71 2002.

I am unsure of that combination, might it be Euro?

Not aware of an 83 318i here either. 84 and 85 yes.

My advice would be : dont beat or cut anything beforehand, raise it all up in there from below and take a look. The M42 is lower profile (no distributor to hit the firewall) so you have bit of wiggle room longitudinally speaking.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

3 hours ago, tech71 said:

I am unsure of that combination, might it be Euro?

Not aware of an 83 318i here either. 84 and 85 yes.

My advice would be : dont beat or cut anything beforehand, raise it all up in there from below and take a look. The M42 is lower profile (no distributor to hit the firewall) so you have bit of wiggle room longitudinally speaking.

The drivetrain donor car is a 1993 E36 318i.  I'm replacing the M10 and 4 speed in the 1971 2002 with an M42 and a Getrag 5 speed.  

I have never done the swap but did plan to do one and did some research, had the drivetrain in the barn but it was out of a 91 E30 318i. Plan changed and I sold all that stuff.

I do remember that the E36 engine will work but you have to replace the oil pan and intake manifold with  E30 parts. 

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 4/22/2021 at 8:45 PM, xr4tic said:

Also I highly recommend attaching the reverse switch wires before it's all the way up.  I didn't, and currently don't have reverse lights because the only way to attach them without dropping the trans would be to drill a large hole in the trans tunnel to gain access.

My homemade crossmember bolted through the floorpan

BIG Second on attaching reverse wires 

Great job on the rear brace 

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook