• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Weber 32/36 Install Issue/Engine Knocking

Cole Deleon

My brother and I woke up this morning with some completely undeserved self confidence that we chose to apply to attempting to swap out my old Weber 32/36 for a shiny new-ish (DGAV-33B1) replacement on my 75 2002. We worked through the checklist, the swap seemed fairly straight forward, we then started her up and drove victoriously through the neighborhood on a sunny day here in the Pacific NorthWest. Started up smooth, the illusive idle/stalling issue I have been chasing seemed to be fixed, time for more celebrating/debating next project ideas. After an hour or so, I went to start the car and head home and after a couple cranks I heard a rather terrifying knocking/clanking under the hood. I will do my share of googling and searching but wanted to kick off this thread as my brother's wife isn't loving the new orange immoble decoration in the garage of the house they moved into....36 hours ago. Will likely wear out my welcome in the first week if I can't figure it out or get it towed in the next few days. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

- Cole 

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

62390157942__BDC7C0B3-5372-4CE5-9D45-41B302D3A122_Original.jpg

Did the car start, or did the clanking happen when you were cranking?

I would check to make sure all the Weber parts are accounted for (throttle plates, screws, aux. venturis , etc.).

Hope all  your tools are accounted for as well!

Or...could be your brother is having some fun...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John76 said:

Did the car start, or did the clanking happen when you were cranking?

I would check to make sure all the Weber parts are accounted for (throttle plates, screws, aux. venturis , etc.).

Hope all  your tools are accounted for as well!

Or...could be your brother is having some fun...

I've seen that clip that guy is mean, but it's hilarious.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

haha a joke that runs about 8 hours too long sounds about right for him.

Clanking did happen while cranking and sounded like something I shouldn't try and push through. Headed back out there tomorrow and will take stock of all parts/tools. Kinda hope that's what it is but also kinda hoping it's something a bit less obvious than leaving a wrench in there ha. Just for the sake of my own ego that's already pretty damaged after the days work. 

Thanks John! 

I'm with John the carb it's self would not cause this if I understand your description. I would pull the valve cover just to make sure all is in order there but it is possible a carb part or something went down the intake. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I vote for dropped wrench in the valley somewhere, or hung up on the exhaust downpipe.

I have a yellow PicQuik screwdriver that did 3 seasons in the wedge beside the pedal box...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

@dangWas a little too terrified by the sound to boogie to it but the clank did seem to have a bit of an even cadence to it. 

@tmeClosest guess to the amount of stimi checks it takes to fix can have the roughly $12.32 that will be left in my bank account. 

Headed back out to my brothers this evening to begin the search. Is this a decent order of oporations? 

- Search high low & down in the valley for anything that shouldn't be there 

- Check Air Filter Position

- Check battery is secure 

- Take inventory on carb components 

- Pull valve cover 

- Pull carb & intake?

- Compression & leak down test 

Any other recommendations on good hiding places? 

Thanks,

Cole