• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to make my Tii a daily driver with comforts.

coopersguy

Great comments from everyone here. On the entertainment side, I installed a Bluetooth amplifier Stealth Amp. from Amazon, located it under the passenger seat and can link my phone for tunes without any cabling. Works really well and also connects to the factory radio so that when on it switches to the radio instead of BT, seamlessly. There's no remote. I also had my speakers re-coned at the time as they were buzzing after 40+ years, so now it's all good.

• Like 2

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

That's a good idea!  along the same note, i need to replace my doorcards as they are trashed due to the speakers a former owner installed.  Doorcards, especially the marine blue/schwartz is expensive for a 1972.  Thoughts on speaker placement other than just the parcel shelf?  Thanks again all!

WallothNesch.com in Germany might have door panels, as might Jaymic.com in UK.  Also check with BluntTech.com  &  www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com in the US.

Kooglewerks.com & member "eurotrash" make kick panel enclosures for spkrs -https://boltonbliss.bigcartel.com/products

Good luck!

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

19 hours ago, TobyB said:

If you're going to daily something, 

get an E30 with an M42.

2002s are too crushable.

t

in urban environments.

@coopersguy not to be a buzzkill but be CAREFUL. Yes I drive my tii almost everyday, but I’ve been rear-ended in it as well as in my last 02. While these cars can take a hit, they are small by modern standards and are not as robust structurally as anything modern on the road. PLEASE make safety a priority before doing any of the fun stuff. Making it reliable and safe should be your first goals.

I was lucky and wasn’t injured but my car incurred about $22K in damage/insurance work. As it was very nice to begin with, the insurance adjuster appreciated that and didn’t choose to total it out and issue a salvage title. As I said, I got lucky.

Much to everyone’s dismay I elected to keep the fugly diving board bumpers for some additional peace of mind whether real or imagined. You’ve got a fairly precious tii (‘72 in Polaris) with bumpers that are more aesthetically pleasing, but don’t really do diddly safety-wise.

Use your best judgment while driving and of course HAVE FUN. End of dad spiel.

• Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

If i was daily driving the 2002 the things i would be doing are.

1. Install the largest steering wheel i coild or upgrade the steering to power steering   

2. Get rid of tge vinyl seat material and retrim in leather 

3. Have sone form of functional hands free phone setup 

4. Consider AC if in warm summer climate

5. Have my fuel gauge functional 

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

No one has mentioned this, but before I dailied my tii (drove it daily for 6ys), I replaced the seat belts. The webbing material degrades with time and sun exposure.  Most racing rules require belt replacement every 2 years. While that's overkill for street, your belts are likely nearly 50 years old.

Also at the expense of sounding like a crusty worrier, I'll second the recommendation of LED tail/brake lights + a third break light,  and maybe also a strobe for the third brake light. If you've spent 5 minutes driving behind an '02, especially a roundie, you'll know that the brake lights are nearly useless. 

• Like 2

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

7 hours ago, g_force said:

No one has mentioned this, but before I dailied my tii (drove it daily for 6ys), I replaced the seat belts. The webbing material degrades with time and sun exposure.  Most racing rules require belt replacement every 2 years. While that's overkill for street, your belts are likely nearly 50 years old.

Also at the expense of sounding like a crusty worrier, I'll second the recommendation of LED tail/brake lights + a third break light,  and maybe also a strobe for the third brake light. If you've spent 5 minutes driving behind an '02, especially a roundie, you'll know that the brake lights are nearly useless. 

oh man.  Sounds like driving a relic 2002 tii is not as safe as driving a mini cooper.... Definitely want to add LED lights all around and 3 brake light.  Plus new seatbelt harnesses. Any suggestions on those two items?  I really appreciate all the advice!

1 hour ago, coopersguy said:

oh man.  Sounds like driving a relic 2002 tii is not as safe as driving a mini cooper.... Definitely want to add LED lights all around and 3 brake light.  Plus new seatbelt harnesses. Any suggestions on those two items?  I really appreciate all the advice!

It's not even remotely as safe.  But, you'll look much cooler.  Isn't that worth more?

Really, though, it's probably safe enough.  '02s were on the forefront of late 1960s crashworthiness and are nimble enough to avoid accidents, if you're paying attention. We've rolled around in these things for years, and many of us are still alive to brag about it.  Play the statistics, my man.  

• Like 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

1 hour ago, coopersguy said:

... Sounds like driving a relic 2002 tii is not as safe as driving a mini cooper...

40-50 years of technology, experience, and computer-aided design separate an ‘02 and a modern Mini. There is no comparison whatsoever: the modern Mini is far, far safer. This comes from someone who has owned ‘02’s continuously since 1973. I love my ‘02’s — a ‘76 I bought new and a ‘73 tii — but I have no interest in daily driving them. Moreover, I’m happiest driving my ‘02’s alone: I like to limit the exposure of my family and friends to 50-year-old safety standards and practices. I signed up for this; they didn’t! ?

Below: my 1970 in 1974. I’m thankful my girlfriend wasn’t in the car!

Regards,

Steve

6507D027-C069-4EFD-8152-409A57264545.jpeg

• Sad 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

FWIW, I daily drive in nice weather but my paranoia has increased with the market value of Tim’s in general but especially roundies. I would take a different route and spend any money on replacing all suspension bushings (OEM rubber), shocks, and, in agreement with above, the loudest horns you can find (Hella makes one model well above 100 dB), and very bright LED brake and turn signal lights (but note that most people ignore turn signals).

• Like 1

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911