• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window track grease?

bianchini

Hey all, 

Had a conversation with some other 02 owners at a C&C today and there wasn't a set answer on the door window track grease/lube. I had Lithium grease on them before and it did more harm than good. What is the correct grease to use? Silicone lubricant? Bearing grease? Something else? 

Cheers. 

I have used a spray lubricant used by garage door installers which does not attract dust or dirt.

3-in-One makes a Garage Door Spray Lubricant which has top rated reviews & is readily available at several retailers.

WD-40 also has a variety of no-dirt-attracting lubricants which are better than the grease originally used which has turned to oily wax 50 years later.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I think I used WURTH HHS same as my door latches.

It is not like the white lithium that hardens.  second  of 3  links no photo...  the 2000 is renamed I went with HHS Plus (HHS K seems great too but I like the creeping factor of the plus). 

Edited by mgben
added link
  • Like 1

I just put whatever grease I have on hand in the tracks. I end up cleaning them down every time I open the door for maintenance anyways.  Not sure on the best for the locks. Strangely, I spoke with a locksmith the other day and he swears by a quick shot of PB Blaster in the lock cylinders to keep them lubed up through the midwest winters.

7 minutes ago, bwint313 said:

I spoke with a locksmith the other day and he swears by a quick shot of PB Blaster in the lock cylinders to keep them lubed up through the midwest winters.

I have used PB Blaster for many years, but I've found that it tends to congeal over time.  I've sprayed it on my door lock mechanisms (down through the gap of a rolled-down window).  The locks will go back to being sticky within a year.  I then went back and hosed them with carb cleaner to knock the old oil off.  Sprayed them with a liquid graphite spray and never had another problem.  

For door tracks?  I used a light grease on my CS when I had it apart.  The old grease had hardened; then someone hosed them with spray Lithium Grease... that crap had formed a white wax and was a bear to remove.  I've finally listened to the Gurus here on FAQ and thrown out all the white lithium spray from my workshop.

Ed Z

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

A good condition, properly sealed door (vapor barrier) shouldn't really get much dust/dirt inside.

After cleaning off all the old, solidified grease I applied what I had. Same thing I pack wheel bearings with.

Working well.

ADD8A6F7-0B29-420B-8B4C-4E5E1D4861D8_4_5005_c.jpeg

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris