• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deposits on private party car sales

1 hour ago, kbmb02 said:

Threads like this offer a glimpse of how various members here do business. Take notes. -KB

Historically and typically most members on this forum have been pleasant and forthright when dealing with them. I find it more the trolls and outsiders who are new to these cars that play games. The camaraderie (among those who contribute and are active) found here is second to none. Your words of caution appear somewhat veiled. ?. 

• Thanks 1

But what do I know

On 7/3/2020 at 4:24 PM, conkitchen said:

Without getting into a lengthy oh woe is me, I'm just curious what others know and think.  

Well that worked out ?

What's his reason for declining to buy? I would think that should factor into Paypal's decision.

I won a dispute as a buyer, tho it cost me shipping, on a set of Ronals. 

Here's what ebay sez https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/deposit-paypal/

This from paypal is less clear, but other pages imply paypal will not pursue refunding deposits on vehicle purchases.

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_AT/ua/pdf/buyerprotection.pdf

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

If I don't pick up a car (garden tractor, etc) on the same day I promise to buy it,

I leave a personal check for 10%.  We do a verbal arrangement for pickup, and

I say "If I haven't picked it up in a week, cash the check and sell it to someone else".

So far, no- one's stolen my bank account that way.

I say keep the deposit, and wait for a letter from a lawyer. It's not coming for $1k, unless he has a sleazy relative.

If paypal comes whining, tell them the story, INCLUDING the 'I did work on the car to the buyer's specification'.

Then link them here. 

If they take your money, we'll all stop using paypal and call them unsavory croods on our facefood accounts.

Plus, I think it's time to disclose buyer's name so we can all send him boxes of our pets' most odious leavings.

t

doesn't hold cars, either.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Plus, I think it's time to disclose buyer's name so we can all send him boxes of our pets' most odious leavings.

While I don't directly condone such savory behavior. Should I lose this stupid pissing contest thrust upon me. I will disclose full details of whom this unsavory person is. He will be lurking for another 2002 most likely and Y'All should know what you may potentially have to deal with.  

But what do I know

4 hours ago, ray_ said:

What's his reason for declining to buy? I would think that should factor into Paypal's decision.

Frankly, I am not entirely sure. We spoke over the phone one day about having to delay his pick-up one week-to which he agreed, then the next day he says he does not want to continue with the transaction and wants his money back. 

Of course this is my interpretation of the events. Personally I have another theory involving naivety of youth, lack of skill and or money, and cultural background.    

But what do I know. 

But what do I know

I'd tell him to pack sand. Call his bluff of legal action. Deposits are refundable only if stated, otherwise, there is no point. sounds like this person has already wasted a considerable amount of your time. Also, paypal can't do shit if it's a car, truck or motorcycle, that is if you did it as a business transaction. Never do friends & family when selling vehicles to strangers. Make seller pay fees.

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

My .02 cents..

Dont worry about the lawyer thing, they are blowing smoke. No lawyer would touch this , unless they are on a retainer. Those people arent on c- list looking for old cars. This person may wish they were that guy, but they arent. Trust me. He is fluffing up to look like a big ole bear. Just a cub.

If he is filing a claim about non delivery, fight him. He didnt pay the remainder, so why would you deliver it. Show them emails/texts, whatever. A agreement would very much help here- however, the reason for non- delivery ( or pickup) isnt from your negligence. Its on him. Make him explain why. I think paypal might understand ( but next time do friends and family or venmo for a deposit! The whole amount is a different deal....) 

I dont think this sounds scammy, but rather someone that couldnt come up with the rest, and just wants his money back, for his own BS. Unless you are a dealer ( which is a different deal kinda)  deposits arent generally refundable- unless its stated specifically that it IS refundable. That being said, i do see alot of ebay ads staring non refundable deposits necessary.

I think most of us understand that, but many people do not. Lots of newbies running around the car biz the last few years, whether that be kids, or adults that decide they want to flip cars/bikes/houses/signs, you name it. 

Anyway, wish you luck. Generally people are good, but like with everything - explaining things that seem to be mutually understood, and getting things in writing is unfortunately where we are at, as a culture and society. But communication and being super clear isnt the end of the world. But is nice when you dont have to, it makes things exhausting.

• Like 1

I'm probably the odd man out here but I'd just give him his deposit back, If the buyer is the kind of person who flakes on the purchase, If he was to buy it he's also probably the kind that will end up calling you after purchase to bitch about something and make your life hell, Why not just sell to someone who will be exited to get the car

6 hours ago, rcf925 said:

I'm probably the odd man out here but I'd just give him his deposit back, If the buyer is the kind of person who flakes on the purchase, If he was to buy it he's also probably the kind that will end up calling you after purchase to bitch about something and make your life hell, Why not just sell to someone who will be exited to get the car

Principle. The customer is not always right and they need to know this. 

There are consequences for being a shit transactor. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

54 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Principle. The customer is not always right and they need to know this. 

There are consequences for being a shit transactor. 

Should I become the successor of this debacle, I am gonna change my name to Walmart. That way everyone I deal with in the future can expect to ram whatever grievances down my throat without consequences.  

But what do I know

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Should I become the successor of this debacle, I am gonna change my name to Walmart. That way everyone I deal with in the future can expect to ram whatever grievances down my throat without consequences.  

I'll hold you to it

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards