• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current market value

Bthorne

5 hours ago, NYNick said:

A 45 year old car as a DD in Wisconsin? Um, no.

It worked just fine 45 years ago lol.

But if you really want to DD an '02, that's fine, but I highly recommend a cheap 4x4 pickup with a working heater for those winter months.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

A DD in 'Sconson?

Might I suggest an e46 325/330xi? They're fairly inexpensive and with preventative maintenance on the cooling system and some key seals, fairly reliable as well. 

Then buy your 02 down the road when you've saved enough to get into the 18k+ range. That should get you a decent car and still have enough to tinker with to make it your own. 

James

• Like 2

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Am I completely lost? What are people talking about 15-18,000 for a decent 02? I have not paid over 8 for a good 02. 

Referencing pics above this post:

Paid 4k for this orange one, had rust but it drove great. Could care less about some rust. 

Paid 3k for the blue one. Nearly no rust, drove it up Mount Hood the day I got it and daily drove it in WI. 

Paid 5k for the fjord one...few small rust spots but has a 5 speed, A/C, and has not broke down once since driving it nearly every other week for 4 years now. Super minimal maintenance. 

I am just saying that it is definitely possible to find good 02s for under 10k, and to keep them affordable if you only fix what is necessary (and not what suits your OCD) and source your parts in a smart way. 

I agree with Conserv that these were a few years ago and prices went up, but I still know you can find similar models for similar prices if you know what you are doing and that it does not take years. 

Edited by catlincustoms

88 IX, 74 02, 72 02tii

1 hour ago, catlincustoms said:

Am I completely lost? What are people talking about 15-18,000 for a decent 02? I have not paid over 8 for a good 02. 

Referencing pics above this post:

Paid 4k for this orange one, had rust but it drove great. Could care less about some rust. 

Paid 3k for the blue one. Nearly no rust, drove it up Mount Hood the day I got it and daily drove it in WI. 

Paid 5k for the fjord one...few small rust spots but has a 5 speed, A/C, and has not broke down once since driving it nearly every other week for 4 years now. Super minimal maintenance. 

I am just saying that it is definitely possible to find good 02s for under 10k, and to keep them affordable if you only fix what is necessary (and not what suits your OCD) and source your parts in a smart way. 

Three good-looking cars, no doubt!

But let’s attach a year of purchase to each of these three cars. The original poster is looking at cars today, not four years ago. My ‘73 tii was $10K in 2014, but I’m confident it would be $20K - $25K today.  That’s not because it got a new paint job — it didn’t — that’s simply market movement.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 5

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, catlincustoms said:

Sure, it's still possible. You can still get lucky but the "unlikely" factor has increased. Geographic location is a factor as well.

I looked for a year.

What's necessary is totally subjective of course. Granted, some of the stuff I spent money on was  not absolutely neccessary but I was taking my meds so it could have been a lot worse?

Edited by tech71
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 5/29/2020 at 12:50 AM, Bthorne said:

That sounds like the perfect situation, I’m just missing the 70k. 

Here’s the deal.

if you take a few minutes or hours and read the

projects /builds you will see :

1. Man buys a mechanical and rust challenged

car and starts a moderate updating.

2. Man falls in love with car and decides to

do more and better job.

3. Project creep takes over.

4. Three years later man brags about car

finally leaving paint shop.

5. No One Posts what they spent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Here’s the deal.

do more and better job.

3. Project creep takes over.

4. Three years later man brags about car

finally leaving paint shop.

5. No One Posts what they spent.

I think this is pretty much what most folks do (who can actually work on their own cars).  

My first 02 was the tii. It was already restored and had some changes made before I bought it.  Over the last 13 years, I have gone thru it myself making more changes and upgrades - yet the body remains as I purchased it with the exception of some trim.

The 69 was a basket case I bought in 2012 for $2,750.00. I knew I was going to completely redo it myself over a few years.  I haven’t added up the receipts yet.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

IMHO, pretty much typical of how much 02 you get for $5000 (+ transport costs of course)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/edmonds-1972-bmw-2002/7133705408.html

Got some rust but some good bits, new parts ect...

Runs and drives but looks like it may be BYOWs (bring your own wheels)

Wait, no title?? Phfft! never mind.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

5 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Here’s the deal.