• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

16 minutes ago, g_force said:

How're the pin type from HD?  I notice they've got some tall 6-ton ones online that weren't in my local HD last time I went.

I haven’t used them yet, still in the box but I did take them out for a quick peak. They are made from steel and were a lot heavier then the hf ones I returned. 

Edited by Jae P

8 hours ago, irdave said:

So Bimmerworld is still ok?  Not to dismiss Blunt and the rest of the local crew...

I believe they are still independent.

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Okay if you're one of the rare humans who hasn't already chucked up a lung laughing at this Cracked Magazine spoof ad from a few years back..enjoy!!  Seriously, don't be drinking anything you wouldn't want coming out of your nose:)

Hazzard Fraught

• Haha 2

Michael Deilke

Whidbey Island, Washington

206-714-3379

When this recall came out, I immediately checked the four stands in my garage at my house, and was glad to see they were not among the recalled stands.

But today ... well, I had to hit the shop space where I assembled my car. Where my car sat on stands for almost two years, often with me under it.

The four stands at the shop were all recall items!

Should I buy a lottery ticket or what?

5 hours ago, theNomad said:

The HF ones I have are silver but the smaller 3 ton, all the paper fell off though. Think they are the versions or should probably just take them back anyway?

I actually have 2 ton Autozone ones that seem flimsier than the HF steel. 
Getting 6 ton jacks somewhere else is probably the best bet. 

In theory, the smaller ones are ok.  I had 4 of the larger ones, only 2 were recalled.  In operation, you can see why they are recalled.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

theNomad, it is not about the jack stand being flimsy, but rather, the locking mechanism being ineffective. So, getting higher rated ones won't help. As Dave observed, 6 ton stands were recalled too. 

Having a think about the ratchet / pawl type locking mechanism helped me come to the realization that it is easy for them to be poorly made and ineffective, and caused me to move to pin type stands. Both Dave and I have bought some really nice ESCOs, but any pin type of reputable brand are probably ok.

6 tons are nice, sometimes, because 6 ton stands are taller. I don't remember whether your jeep has big tires, but mine does and it is too tall for regular jack stands. On the flip side, 6 tons are too tall for most things you need to do on a car.

I don't have any near-term plans for my jeep that I will need jack stands for (not needing to jack it up to change oil is nice), but I read that Northern Tool sells some ratchet / pawl type jack stands with a pin back up that are not too expensive. When I I'm ready to replace my 6 tons I'm going to look there first.

Edited by g_force
  • Like 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

Yes, will get 6 ton, just changing wheels or suspension work on the Jeep wasn't my favorite with the little stands. 

Looks like Lowes has Husky type that are pawl with locking pin as well. 

Looking at the double lock stands with the triangle pin online seems hit of miss quality as well. Some photos look like the pin is only overlapping the teeth by 1/16" if that. More of a placebo effect. 

• Like 1