Sharktrainer

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

43 posts / 3547 viewsLast Reply

Been a while since I’ve been here but this was brought to my attention. Be safe

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32600586/harbor-freight-jack-stands-recalled-for-risk-of-collapsing/?fbclid=IwAR2yUijAO4hzyjxhe0UqAAz3VwHhOLKUvAqPfHznW5PL68pQYO_c2s49IdM

AC8ECF63-4BCA-47CD-AE56-34FA52D211B8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Those bloody things are dangerous, I managed to hit the lever twice, there won’t be a 3rd time, they are in the bin.

I only use the pin type now, luckily I also had the pin type in play when I had the issue!!

WHAT?  Made in China and it’s not top quality??

• Haha 2

It's probably cheaper and easier to drill a 10mm hole through the things and pin them.

t

20% off one item, more or less...

They don't call the place 'Hardly Safe' for nothing...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, tomphot said:

WHAT?  Made in China and it’s not top quality??

The produce what the market demands.

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

does this mean we can all get our $19.00 refunded? 

No.

I paid 9.99 each for my 4 and if you read the fine print you get a fricken gift card.

I would never ever use jack stands as the only source to support the car, no matter the brand. I "Always" use a backup, and sometimes a third.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ingramlee said:

I would never ever use jack stands as the only source to support the car, no matter the brand. I "Always" use a backup, and sometimes a third.

Huh.  I use 4.  am I doing it wrong?

t

uses jack stands to support his hobbies.

• Like 2

I rely on jack stands alone for support.  But, when I'm under the car, I usually have a wheel off and I slide it under the car with me.  If I don't have a wheel off, I leave the jack in place, but lowered 1/4" so the jack stands are the only thing supporting the weight.    

• Like 3

Bump because we need to make sure everyone sees it.

I ordered some Esco stands from Pelican, should be here Tuesday.  Wife said she'd kick my ass if I got flattened under the car.  I said, so, about that lift...

• Haha 3

I can't see spending more than the cost of a jack for the stands.  But then, I don't usually get under

the car when it's up on the jack...

Since I wholeheartedly agree about keeping this thread on page 1 for a while, I went and looked at

my collection of stands.  I bought NONE of them new, and think, for the 8 or 11 I could lay my hands

on, I'd paid $20 for one pair, bought from a garagemate who didn't want them any more.

Only one pair was made in the Harbor, and it was so old that the Central Mackhinery sticker was

paper, and nowhere on it was there any mention whatsoever of a part number...

t

was shopping for 2 post lifts before the Covids stole his disposable income

I just successfully returned a set of 3 ton stands, two Harbor Freight workers had to study them a bit since they didn't have the correct stickers or sku number, but looked similar. Eventually, they just decided to give me the rebate. Think I bought them at the Habitat for Humanity store a couple years ago. Looks like I'm back in the market for another set of stands.