• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on new alternator bushings

I am seeking to replace my alternator bushings with those I received from Blunt.The old ones were held on with a washer and circlip.  Do I reinstall the washer and circlip or dispense with those? As a secondary question, the new belt I received from Blunt is appreciably wider than the original. Should that fit on a stock ‘74 set up? Seems to match others that I have seen on the faq. Thanks!  Tom

76A57908-511D-4F8D-ABB4-09EB460E97AB.jpeg

CE413B50-6446-4D2B-964C-0379549341F6.jpeg

41 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

the new belt I received from Blunt is appreciably wider than the original. Should that fit on a stock ‘74 set up?

The size difference is mostly due to your old belt being worn down.  When new, they are close to the same size. 

Here is a post I just dug up.

1 hour ago, bluehills2002 said:

I am seeking to replace my alternator bushings with those I received from Blunt.The old ones were held on with a washer and circlip.  Do I reinstall the washer and circlip or dispense with those? 

You should be using your washer and circlips. New bushings should have groove in them.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

9.5 x 875 primary and 9.1 x 870 is an alternate size if above not available.

The 9.1 would work with new pulleys, but it will bottom out on the old worn pulleys most of us are running now, but it would probably get you home in a pinch.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

You don't want your belt to run too deep in the pulley sheaves; it'll overheat and break prematurely.  The top of the belt should be close to the top of the pulley sheaves.

Alternator bushings:  I just wrestled those bushings from Blunt into my '69's alternator and it took some filing and shaving to make 'em fit to the point where the circlips can be reinstalled.  It helps to have a big vise to squeeze the bushings enough so the clips will pop into their grooves.  The OEM rubber bushings compress; the urethane ones, not so much.  But they will fit and are far better than the rubber ones.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, RicanBeemer said:

did you had a hard time installing the generator into the mount?

No, that was the easiest part, after wrestling with those bushings.  If you're installing a new belt, be prepared after a thousand miles or so to check the belt for tightness and re-tighten if necessary.  They tend to stretch when new.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Excellent advice as always thank you all.  As  I am doing this I noticed that the only markings on my alternator of unknown vintage are “reman 446” so I might have to repeat this process before long.  Ricanbeemer, I did confirm with Steve at  Blunt that the two machined bushings in the package are  for the lower part of the adjustment  bracket (where it attaches to the block). See photo.  Tom

834C0C83-0FD0-486F-BDC6-A5FB23C59D97.jpeg

50BABAD6-61EF-4634-98CE-CBBB23D3D0C7.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered alternator bushings from my local BMW dealer.  Even though I will get them at dealer cost, they are a bit pricey.

Tried to find Blunt, but the website address I have for them says the site no longer exists.  What's the story there?

I plan to use my 2002A as much as possible, this summer, after not using it at all, last year and only once (for a 1200 mile round trip) in 2018.

In other words, my poor 02 has been neglected for the past few years and I'm looking for my old, favorite parts supplier (Blunt Tech).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

Thanks, guys.  I guess the website address changed, from the last time I used it (had it on my "favorites" bar).  Anyway, I used the address you guys gave me and had no problems.

Looks like dealer cost is going to be less than what Blunt can do for me, so I'll go with that option, for this one.

Thanks, again.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002