• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320 dizzy or 02 dizzy?

Beantown

Hi all.

I know there is an answer to this,  but I have been reading my searches and can find anything that matches my questions. 

I have an 80's 1.8 head and block that I have converted to a 2.0 using a 02 crankshaft.  I am NOT using the EFI and will be going with a carb setup,  and plan to go electronic ignition. The 1.8 head has been cleaned and machined at a shop and I will go get it next week.  I had planned on sending the stock camshaft into IE to get a regrind to 292,  but realized that the dizzy i have is from an 02.  My question is,  what is the cleanest/cheapest route to go here.  Should I get a used 02 camshaft or get a 320 dizzy?  I am nervous about switching the cam,  because it fits well with the head,  and is original.  Can I make a 320 dizzy work with a carb setup and electronic ignition?

Also,  if I do a regrind on a stock cam to 292,  will I have clearance problems with my valves?

Thanks all!

You need to be a little more specific about what you have, as far as the 320 camshaft goes.  The earlier ones spin the distributor the same way as the 2002, but they reversed the bevel on the gear on the later ones.

I read once that the cutoff was September of '81, but I could be wrong about that date... I also think that was when they switched from using points/condenser to the electronic ignition distributor, with its corresponding backwards bevel gear.

What is the casting date on your e21 head?

Used distributors are a bit of a crapshoot, as far as condition goes.  Which model do you have in hand?  

Tom

EDIT-- the date question may be a bit silly, especially since I might be wrong about the change over date... could have been Sept. '80?  In any case, the question is, does the 2002 distributor you have mate up with the gear on the camshaft?  

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

Hi Tom,

I will take a picture of the dizzy and cam when I get to the shop later today.  I do know that the dizzy is earlier from a 2002 and had points in it. While the cam is from a later 1982ish 320.  The teeth do not match up correctly.  The head is a 1.8 from the same 1982ish 320.  I will be back with specifics.

Thanks

Didn’t the distributor’s direction of rotation reverse with the implementation of the 1.8-liter engine? I believe that occurred for the 1980 model year. I know little of 1.8’s, but that seems like a natural point when such a change might have occurred.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Didn’t the distributor’s direction of rotation reverse with the implementation of the 1.8-liter engine?

In the US, yes.  Dunno about elsewhere, as not every market was fuel injected.

And the electronic ignition, and the injectors in head.

The earlier E21 headed E21 (arrgh) was 2 liters, had a tii- looking manifold with macaroni,

had points, and the dizzy went the 2002 way of things.

The electronic ignition system from an E21 is a robust thing, and is certainly a good, reliable way to 

go.  Probably kind of hard to find these days, but not particularly sought after, so not expensive.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

In your current situation, I think the easy answer is if you know your existing dizzy is in good shape just to get a new billet camshaft from IE instead of a regrind:

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/camshaft-stock-264/

And you may want to consider a 284 instead of 292 if you're worried about piston clearance and/or are using the stock rockers and valve springs.

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy

9 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I think Conserv's car is a '76 manual transmission car with its original #164 distributor.

Original #164 distributor body, 123 Ignition Bluetooth distributor guts?

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

4 hours ago, visionaut said:

Bosch 0 231 176 059 is the dizzy shown for the late model USA manual (12/74-6/76)

Yes.

Mine's never been replaced and it's a 0 231 170 164. It's either a mistake in the parts listing, or... could that "12/74 through 6/76" range translate into 1975 models and the California version of the 1976 model (all of which share identical engines, with the full regalia of emissions controls, including the thermal reactor exhaust manifold). Remember, my '76 49-state version has all the performance goodies: 3.90 diff (oops, that's sitting on the shelf), E21 (just like a 320i), #5 camshaft (and we all know about them!).  I could go on.  But, yes, that ...164 must be the performance distributor, kind of like a tii distributor with vacuum advance!

Below: 1983, 2015 (with Pertronix), and three recent photos of a spare distributor, freshly back from Advanced Distributors, last month (a bit shinier than hoped for).

Best regards,

Steve

CE7FFCE3-F9D6-498F-9573-E5A425BF776B.jpeg

334097DB-0656-4C14-AC3C-788CB169A4FB.jpeg

B272B223-F75C-42CA-8BAC-4BF857CAD19E.jpeg

02A150A7-DE69-40F2-9817-D1E49A259F88.jpeg

09E54ED1-69B1-455C-98FE-92F840EA195D.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)