• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn / Blinker Return on Steering Wheel Replacement

My '74 came with a steering wheel identical to the one shown below - and no working horn and the automatic return on the blinkers also not working.  The wheel has been identified by some as a "Petri Black" 350mm with foam, not leather.  I've dug into the problem on the forums and it appears there is no standard or common solution, or maybe no solution at all. 

Petri Black Turbo steering wheel.jpg

The problem:  The original BMW setup had the horn slip ring (3233111222) attached to the steering column and a spring-loaded button in the steering wheel to make contact.  This wheel is basically reversed, it has the slip ring built into the back of the wheel itself.  I don't see any way to make the original and aftermarket compatible.

Past discussions have talked about horn components for this steering wheel possibly coming from a VW Sicrocco of the same period, but I cannot find anything. Any solutions or ideas would be appreciated.

_____

As for the signal return, I have a retainer (32311110904) that I believe should trip the blinker, but it fails to extend out far enough to hit the mechanism coming out of the stalk. This seems unrelated to a change in steering wheel, but maybe not. The only think I can think of is that it is not the original retainer. I suppose it would be possible to fabricate something new, that extends out further, on a small lathe, but not sure it's worth it.

_____

Finally, does anyone know of a source for the 4" or so plastic shroud/cover behind the steering wheel (that looks a little like a small Devo hat)?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Greg -

For reasons known only to the factory, the 6's that were contemporary with the '02 (CS coupes, Bavarias etc) had the contact ring on the back of the steering wheel, and the spring-loaded button on the steering column, exactly backwards from the '02s.  Many of the steering wheels produced for BMW then (either OEM or aftermarket) will accommodate either setup.  So...

Look carefully on the back of the steering wheel--at least some of the older factory wheels had a hole drilled through the hub area into the space behind the horn button as well as the two small, drilled holes in the wheel hub to accommodate the contact ring.  If that's the case, simply remove the contact ring from the steering wheel and install a contact button in the hole provided.  If the hole isn't there, it's not difficult to drill through the steering wheel hub to install one.  

As for the turn signal canceling "finger"--suspect you need to find one of the metal ones that were used on OEM 2002 steering wheels.  And...the position of the turn signal lever assembly in relation to the steering column is adjustable via slotted mounts on the lever assy.  And remember the "finger" has to be on the left side of the steering wheel to work, as the turn signal lever on 74 and later cars is on the left (73 and earlier have 'em on the right.)

Check it out and let us know whatcha find...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Greg fr Denver said:

Finally, does anyone know of a source for the 4" or so plastic shroud/cover behind the steering wheel (that looks a little like a small Devo hat)?

You’re looking for an aftermarket steering wheel hub adapter for a BMW 2002.

i know Momo still makes them (accordion-looking type). Most aftermarket steering wheel mfgrs offered one for their wheels - though many vintage ones that fit an 02 are NLA new.

IE and others are now selling a solid aluminum style similar to the early Momo adapter (Devo-hat type). You need to make sure the one you get fits your Petri wheel hole bolt-pattern.

“we are not men, we are 02ers” ?

• Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

That is a wheel for a Turbo and not an E21 "S".

There were at least two styles, one with and aluminum hub another with an expanded sheet metal, and they are different in the horn ring and cancellation tabs.

If you have not removed the wheel and want pictures of each, I can provide them.

I have the same steering wheel on my 1970 '02 and purchased it from Sherman Martinez on this site. He confirmed that it was an early 320is part. Later ones had the plastic spoke covers.

When I received it, the horn ring was gone. I used the stock horn ring and the carbon pin that was in the original 2002 steering wheel.  When that one disintegrated a few years ago, I replaced it with a different one, part # 32331109750,  which I got from Blunttech.  Since there are several styles, a little experimentation may be required to find the one that works best.  

My steering wheel had a hole in the bottom which looked like part of the aluminum casting versus something drilled by a previous owned. I inserted the carbon pin through that hole and and attached it to the horn button. Before doing that, I added a few nylon washers around the carbon pin to space it closer to the horn ring. Similarly, I spaced the blinker switch toward the steering wheel and away from the steering column in order for the canceling arm on the switch to contact the return gizmo on the steering column.  Both of these adjustments were required because I did not properly pre-load the steering column after replacing the steering box universal joint.  It is supposed to be compressed ~1/4". However, had I done that, the stock 320is steering wheel surround would have needed a shave.

While a bit goofy, it works and was simple to implement.  

Edited by duckdudess
Photo insert screwed up post.

That is an e21 320i Sport wheel. Often confused with the Turbo wheel, which had a different horn button and was wrapped in leather. They were an option on the earlier e21 models and replaced on the later 320is cars with the version with the plastic arms. I sold one these a while back. Here are some of the pics from my old ad.

IMG_20191005_185913.jpg

IMG_20191005_185836.jpg

IMG_20191005_185927.jpg

IMG_20191005_185921.jpg

For the horn contact, I drilled through the existing horn contact ring and glued in a pencil style horn contact using a hot glue gun. Note that my hub had an existing hole that was covered by the e21 horn contact ring. 

Also, I believe that a hub cover from a later model 320is Sport wheel with the plastic arms should work with your current hub. Note that you'll need to shave about 1/8" off the back of the hub cover to make it fit correctly on an 02, otherwise you'll wear a nice groove into your steering column cover. Ask me how I know...

Otherwise, there's a supplier in Germany making reproduction Petri hub covers. Do a search here for his contact info. 

Last, all of black, steel arm Sport wheels I've seen were 380mm. 

Cheers, James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

7 hours ago, Teelinger said:

That is an e21 320i Sport wheel. Often confused with the Turbo wheel, which had a different horn button and was wrapped in leather.

The turbo wheels were never wrapped in leather. They did have the foam molded in faux leather graining and stitching.

I serviced a lot of the 320iS cars when they were new and only saw the leather wrapped, plastic foam covered spokes as part of the "S" upgrades. I will agree that the horn button on the 320iS' wheels had a "step up" configuration as opposed to a more flat style on the Turbo.

They did have the "Devo" plastic surround as noted, different depending on which hub, IIRC because the hub length is different. My wheels with the expanded hub have the wheel riveted on the hub, with a plastic turn signal cancellation tab. The plastic surround fits with tabs into holes in the wheel.

Alternatively, the others have an aluminum hub, with machine screws holding on the wheel and a metal cancellation tab and a hole for the horn contact as per "usual" 2002 wheels.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:29 AM, mike said:

For reasons known only to the factory, the 6's that were contemporary with the '02 (CS coupes, Bavarias etc) had the contact ring on the back of the steering wheel, and the spring-loaded button on the steering column, exactly backwards from the '02s.  Many of the steering wheels produced for BMW then (either OEM or aftermarket) will accommodate either setup.  So...

Look carefully on the back of the steering wheel--at least some of the older factory wheels had a hole drilled through the hub area into the space behind the horn button as well as the two small, drilled holes in the wheel hub to accommodate the contact ring.  If that's the case, simply remove the contact ring from the steering wheel and install a contact button in the hole provided.  If the hole isn't there, it's not difficult to drill through the steering wheel hub to install one. 

Yes.

(And I really came to like the turn signal on the earlier cars on the right...great for right hand turns, then shifting into 1st gear.)

In my situation, I really only care about the wheel itself, with the condition of the foam and spokes, to fit on the aluminum hub, and not the expanded metal hub, so removing the slip ring is moot.

Of course one could buy a Turbo wheel as an accessory at the time as with other parts, so perhaps that is how it came to be on the subject car.

Either way, a nice period correct 380mm Petri enhancement.

Thanks to all for the input & pictures.  Getting advice on this forum is like drinking from a firehose - it's not quite too much information, but its always much more than I'll be able to use.

One small follow-up question:  the foam on the wheel is in great shape, but way too slick. I have a temporary wrap on it that doesn't look good. Is there a way to recondition the exterior to give it more tack?  I'm wonder if it would be worth trying to stitch a nice leather wrap - but not sure a novice could do it well enough?

"I'll hang up and listen" - Thanks again.

Greg -

That is the "skin" of the foam and if you use anything that I know of to give it tack, you might just destroy it revealing the actual foam.

Leather over cover e.g. something like "Wheel skins" of back in the day (beware of puncturing the foam while lacing it up) or to be a bit Jaunty, driving gloves, which I used while driving at the track.