• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wheels, big problem? Help?

I will give some background about this project. I bought this car 21 years ago. Drove it for 3 days and started taking it apart. It had very bad paint and some shoddy body work. The fuel tank area was rusting badly and needed a fix. That was then. Then it sat in my garage tucked away for 21 years. I've had a lot of free time on my hands because of Covid. So I went at the car hard. I fixed everything and got new wheels for it. I was planning on painting this weekend but.... The old suspension is still in the car so it sits super funny, but that rear wheel is so far forward in the well , I don't know if the flare was cut wrong or what. It had 13's on it. Big ol American racing uni lug wheels, that are about 8 or 9 inches wide. The new wheels are 15x7 and the correct 4x100 pattern. So i was figuring a bit of a wheel spacer and new springs and shocks and i will be good and fill up the flares that are on the car. 2 inch ones. But that rear wheel is so far forward I'm thinking something else is wrong. Again the springs and shocks are old and had the 13's on them. Does anyone think some else is up besides that? Is the flare cut wrong. Also all the suspension urethane is 45 years old. Any help or advice would be .. helpful. Thanks.

20200429_184046.jpg

20200429_184032.jpg

I thought my car hadn't been hit. Guess what...your car was probably hit before you purchased. it 21 years ago in 1999. Especially if there was shoddy bodywork you had to correct. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Interested observer here. What would be the remedy?

Frame straightener? Can that be done with unibody construction? 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

It looks more like the flare was not centered.  Do some measurements inside the wheel well.  Find the center of the wheel well ( not the opening) and then see where your wheel sits.  If the car was bent as much as it looks sitting on the wheels in that picture it would be blatantly obvious.   

• Like 4

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

1 hour ago, NotCoolSteve said:

20200429_184032.jpg

On the pic the C-pillars seem to flush. Looking at the rear end of the rocker the flare does not seem to be off center. Even if it could be moved 1/2" further to the front it wouldn't match the tire.

My guess is it is of an unfortunate design, no good for an 02 or- passenger side.

But the rims are cool!

hen

• Like 1

The gap at the front of the tire to the back of the rocker looks about right,  the gap at the back of the wheel arch is just too big.  I don't know where those flares came from but I doubt they were designed for a 2002 and they are just too big.  They lined up the front of the flare with the end of the rocker, as it should be, and the back just wound up too far back.  

• Like 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC