• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3D printed Carbon Fiber Air box

LeeJohn

Hey everyone, I am a 3d engineer kinda protype guy, and years ago i built a custom fiber glass air box (by hand) for my ITBs on my tii..  That tii brake booser prevents off the shelf type air boxes so i made one.

Then i bought a industrial 3d printer that can print nylon carbon fiber and other exotic filaments. So i design a air box thats 2 walled and specifcally deidcated to air flow and looks.  

note: before i built a air box i was running just veloctiy stacks with little filters.  Dyno at 138 hp at wheels.  After the air box with very little tune change she was at 149 hp.

I will dyno this air box as well to seeif anything changes.

Here are some pics

IMG_9428.JPG

IMG_9433.JPG

IMG_9438.JPG

IMG_9441.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

IMG_9445.JPG

• Like 8

James,

Here is a pic of before and after.   I added a air temp sensor which it did not have before, and we adjust timing at idle.  i think that was it.  Maybe some mixture changes mid range to account for leanness/richness.. 

Dyno.jpg

• Like 1

I don't understand how the torque at all rpm points can improve equally, that is not the usual case.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Velocity stacks and little filters can be pretty restrictive but I too question the low rpm gains.

Maybe a fat air day vs a skinny air day, we have these regularly in So CA.

Pretty shape though and nice looking.

What's the delta change represent?

note: before i built a air box i was running just veloctiy stacks with little filters.  Dyno at 138 hp at wheels.  After the air box with very little tune change she was at 149 hp.

I will dyno this air box as well to seeif anything changes.

IMG_9445.JPG

Edited by gary32

Yeah different days. And different seasons

southern ca springtime was first one.  And was colder I think for second one.  I didn’t ever think the air box would give power gains. I did it for the mega squirt and to have proper filter and temp sensor etc etc

I don’t know if this one will hold boost but I could print a version with 100% infill and that is insanely strong.  Willing to test.

• Like 2

It is great to see this sort of work.  if I had more time i would like to fool around with 3d printers.  If you are looking to make stuff, I think there are a lot of people here would want some cool one off stuff.  

People with butchered door panels with shitty speakers would like to have a better way to mount speakers in the doors. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002