• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii engine rebuild and 5 speed swap

mvliotta

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Interesting problem.  Do you have an office chair?  Just spit-balling.  You could remove the chair back and put your jack and transmission on the chair and roll it into position.  The combined weight shouldn't be a problem, just the balance and safety to consider.

Hard to see, but click on play button in my post above for my home-made solution...?

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 months on the engine build and about 1 hour away from starting her up, i came to the realization that I’m the worst freeze plug installer in the world. ?

Most of the freeze plugs were leaking from just filling the system with coolant. Immediately regretted not putting RTV on the plugs during install. 

ugh.. a ‘Shoot me now’ moment. 

The good news is that the plugs are accessible after moving a couple of things out of the way. And they were not so hard to get out once you get the hang of it...drill a hole and tap a screw to ensure the plugs don’t fall into the block and then hammer on the other side of the plug with a screwdriver to flip them in the hole. Extract with your favorite vise grips. 

B239E38D-3DFA-4966-BA59-CEE68BA53D51.jpeg
So, once I got a new set delivered, spent a few more hours to reinstall (with RTV this time!) and more than a few Italian curses. Wont lie, the drivers side plugs were a PITA with the engine in the bay.

Looks like that did the trick.. No leaks this morning!
D3537825-38E2-4363-BDA6-53D8B91F0759.jpeg

Now on to putting everything back together. I’m determined to start her up today. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

11 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

After 3 months on the engine build and about 1 hour away from starting her up, i came to the realization that I’m the worst freeze plug installer in the world. ?

Most of the freeze plugs were leaking from just filling the system with coolant. Immediately regretted not putting RTV on the plugs during install. 

ugh.. a ‘Shoot me now’ moment. 

The good news is that the plugs are accessible after moving a couple of things out of the way. And they were not so hard to get out once you get the hang of it...drill a hole and tap a screw to ensure the plugs don’t fall into the block and then hammer on the other side of the plug with a screwdriver to flip them in the hole. Extract with your favorite vise grips. 

B239E38D-3DFA-4966-BA59-CEE68BA53D51.jpeg
So, once I got a new set delivered, spent a few more hours to reinstall (with RTV this time!) and more than a few Italian curses. Wont lie, the drivers side plugs were a PITA with the engine in the bay.

Looks like that did the trick.. No leaks this morning!
D3537825-38E2-4363-BDA6-53D8B91F0759.jpeg

Now on to putting everything back together. I’m determined to start her up today. 

Make the start up a video Vince! Good luck ?

• Like 1

Success!!! First start-up video below.  Hopefully you see the play button.

Definately needs some tuning, but was thrilled to take her out for a spin today. The 5 speed shifted through all gears really well.. already forgot about those years with a crunchy 2nd gear! Everything seems to be running well so far, but keeping my fingers crossed. 

A few things still to do, like install the speedometer, but really happy to get her moving again. 

Edited by mvliotta
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

18 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

Success!!! First start-up video below.  Hopefully you see the play button.

Definately needs some tuning, but was thrilled to take her out for a spin today. The 5 speed shifted through all gears really well.. already forgot about those years with a crunchy 2nd year! Everything seems to be running well so far, but keeping my fingers crossed. 

A few things still to do, like install the speedometer, but really happy to get her moving again. 

Yay! Looks and sounds naturally smooth, Vince. And check out the valve cover’s diagnostic port! ?

Congrats! This is great.

Best regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 minutes ago, NYNick said:

What are those spacers doing on your struts?

Ha! 

I like your enthusiasm, Nick, as you have ventured into phase 2.... When you help me redo my entire suspension next winter. 
?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

11 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

Ha! 

I like your enthusiasm, Nick, as you have ventured into phase 2.... When you help me redo my entire suspension next winter. 
?

If there's a vaccine I'll be there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Maybe it’s too soon to bring it up, Vince, but I also want to get your car’s re-Ceylon-ification on your schedule.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Maybe one of you guys can give Vince some advice on breaking in the engine.   My routine of driving the car onto the trailer, driving it to pit lane, one pace lap, and then go like hell just did not seem like the right advice.

Edited by pjp90
Typo
  • Like 1

Paul

14 minutes ago, pjp90 said:

Maybe one of you guys can give Vince some advice on breaking in the engine.   My routine of driving the car onto the trailer, driving it to pit lane, one pace lap, and then go like hell just did not seem like the right advice.

Yeah, what's up with that? Hell with the pace lap!

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Maybe it’s too soon to bring it up, Vince, but I also want to get your car’s re-Ceylon-ification on your schedule.

Definately not too soon, Steve.  Been scoping out a couple of places for the scrape and paint. Once I can get NYNick to do some work on the suspension ?, it’s Re-Ceylon-ification time!

• Like 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'