• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii engine rebuild and 5 speed swap

mvliotta

that injection pump drive sprocket has a lot of wear,  #11 41 1 250 429  thats the chain #  out of orange band #1 use no superseded number, the splined pump uses a wider gear to carry the load on the splines, you think bmw would have learned that design does not work, the penny pincers got their way, same shitty design as the rear axels, can't tell you how many races were lost from this design Bruce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m-tuner said:

that injection pump drive sprocket has a lot of wear,  #11 41 1 250 429  thats the chain #  out of orange band #1 use no superseded number, the splined pump uses a wider gear to carry the load on the splines, you think bmw would have learned that design does not work

What?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 hours ago, m-tuner said:

that injection pump drive sprocket has a lot of wear,

Sharp eyes Bruce!  Did not notice that at all. When I compare side-by-side the sprocket in the photos above with a spare one, it’s pretty obvious. 

13092B09-607D-494D-8178-6882CA4DEBEC.thumb.jpeg.3c18abd3840c9ed1d04741c4da187482.jpeg

• Sad 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

1 hour ago, mvliotta said:

When I compare side-by-side the sprocket in the photos above with a spare one, it’s pretty obvious. 

I'm still not 100% sold on the wear factor.  I compared 2 sprockets lately and found differences. One had a distinct lip and another had a marginal lip.  But both had well-defined teeth with no noticeable abrasion. I think the teeth would wear significantly as well.

Is it possible the factory changed the sprocket design?

Your (foreground) sprocket has well-defined teeth.  I think a better determining factor in whether or not a sprocket is toast is the tension on the belt when all is assembled.  A very loose belt would confirm that the sprocket is TOO worn.  Right?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Just measured both sprockets. The one that does not look worn has an outer diameter of 116.8mm measured from the top of the peaks, while the worn portion of the other sprocket measures 115.5mm. 

That’s quite a difference.

Will have both on hand when Paul and I install The KF pump. 

• Thanks 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

that because you are a newby, I lost a left rear axel and flange on our 1800tisa  at riverside race way in 1986 the last race run on that track  you need to read, bmw factory lost a lot of races in the 2002 and 3.0/3.5 csl  to rear axel failures, thats why they changed the design of rear axels? its common wear on the timing  gear, i have many worn out gears,  my first tii was in 1978 my  first 2002 was 1971, were you born? this  is not  my first tii build, i have replaced a lot of splined oil pump gears and pumps that were about to fall apart, the m30b34/35 used a sping loaded oil pump tensioner because the chains got so loose , they had a plastic version at one time, the new ones are  aluminum , the  original tooth profile can be seen where the timing belt has not run

• Confused 1

Yes I was born before 1971.  I suppose I am a newbie by since I did not get my first BMW until 1983 and have only been racing for 32 years.  I don’t doubt your experience but  I will refrain from offering comments on my experience until I have 50 years under my belt.

• Like 3

Paul

Yes I was born before 1971.  I suppose I am a newbie by since I did not get my first BMW until 1983 and have only been racing for 32 years.  I don’t doubt your experience but  I will refrain from offering comments on my experience until I have 50 years under my belt.

• Like 1

Paul

Does the drive belt area gather dust if the car is driven in dusty environments for extended time?  Dust is abrasive and the pulley would wear.  Belts don't seem to be affected by dust.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

Does the drive belt area gather dust if the car is driven in dusty environments for extended time?  Dust is abrasive and the pulley would wear.  Belts don't seem to be affected by dust.

Good question.  I have dismantled my share of KF systems and this worn aluminum sprocket still has me scratching my head.  The wear is so uniform that it's like the belt has cut perfect teeth, although re-sized.  Any worn sprockets I've seen have worn teeth with in-distinct (smoothed) edges.

I just looked at 2 sprockets I have and neither is worn like @mvliotta's.

"dusty environments for extended time"  is the only thing that makes sense to me.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Machine shop finished the block and crank shaft this week so Paul and I started assembly this wknd. 

Made some nice progress... crank and pistons are in and got part way though putting the top end back together. Correct oil pump chain is in transit *hopefully*, so will need to get that in before continuing.

Vince 

1BF46E25-06A8-42CA-BB08-7B4BAB5A4B83.thumb.jpeg.2222854f05eab73c07cbe5044ebe701d.jpeg

B89478F1-53F9-41D6-B11D-18BE8D4429E3.thumb.jpeg.58a088b903f80665f7fe78ad9946cab2.jpeg

• Like 4

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

correct color is semi gloss black, also I use  the cutting ring head gasket on tii s its about $ 65.00 especially if you have the stock rad,they painted over the numbers,  all the injection  brackets  are silver not gold, except the cold start lever and linkage, thats if you are showing the car