• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine accelerating at idle.

InkaTii

59 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

For someone that knows nothing about Tii's...   would a leaking cold startup injector cause this?

I don't believe so. Dripping cold start injector would richen the mixture if anything at all, resulting in poor gas mileage and perhaps low idle. I've had a leaky cold start but it's been long enough I don't recall the behavior.

Its a good point to check it however just because why not - variable elimination is a good thing.

Jason

• Thanks 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

One more thing not previously mentioned:  the accelerator pedal itself.  Pop it off its ball joint mounts and inspect the back side of the pedal, and the little plastic bushing that slips over the end of the pedal linkage. 

Clean all the crud off both, lubricate lightly and reassemble.  If the bushing is missing, you really need to replace it.  I glued a 2" length of SlickTape on the back side of the pedal; it's a Teflon-like tape used for drawer glides and since it bears against a plastic bushing, eliminates the need for lubrication (and thus dirt buildup) on the pedal's underside.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Check your motor mounts and the subframe "ear" that the left mount bolts to for cracks. A shifting motor may bind the linkage. Maybe ;-)

When the motor races towards 2000rpm, does the idle cycle up and down quickly? If so, you might look at the CO adjustment in the tuna can.

Otherwise, what they^ said. 

Good luck,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks for your answers.

Yesterday I went back home in the afternoon in the tii and it was accelerated all the time. Some times at 2000 rpm and sometimes cycling up and down constantly. I noticed that while at the red light I accelerated quickly and left it rest it would come back to 900 rpm and stay there.

What I’ll do.

I’ll start with the CO tuning next week and check advance timing. Today I’ll write to bluntech to ask for the connecting rods of the accelerator linkage, because they are in bad shape.

A new thing

today I brought my flash light and noticed that the small tube that must connect from the air intake to the breather hose is connected to the distributor’s vacuum. I think that’s not right.

BMW 2002 Tii euro 1974, 5 speed "dog leg".

The  '74 U.S. version had a vacuum retard capsule.  I am not sure about Euro models though.

s-l1600.jpg

In this photo, you can see that the capsule pulls the points plate clockwise, the same direction as the rotor's rotation.

s-l1600.jpg

(photos taken off of a current eBay listing, NMNA)

That capsule was controlled by a valve, mounted on top of the air cleaner housing.  Without that (and other associated equipment (?)), I'd leave it disconnected.

Tom