• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 Rebuild...any reccomendations?

nicktahoe

Looking like I might need to have my Getrag 245 5 Speed rebuilt. Everything shifts smoothly as of now but the other day started making an interesting whining noise. Live in Sacramento but anywhere in the Bay would work as well. I'm probably going to pull it out myself if it will save some $$. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

'71 2002 Riveria

• 1 year later...

I’m resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one. I’m looking for an NY/NJ/PA shop to rebuild my Getrag 245 OD 5-speed. (I bought one that turned out to have an unusable bell housing, and a kind FAQ’er donated a crusty donor unit.) Chris Isaacson put me in touch with a guy here in the Philly area, but he has gone quiet since COVID. (Gordon Tobias, if anybody knows him. I hope he’s okay.)

So, I’m now extending the radius of my search. I’m willing to drive a few hours to drop off/pick up. 

I already bought all the goodies to do the conversion: Blunt’s beautiful kit and an IE shortened driveshaft (I know, it was a risk buying without measuring, but I live on the edge.) And I figured out the awful rattle I’ve got is the input shaft on my 4-speed, wobbling around. So I’m REALLY hoping to make the 5-speed work. 

Anybody know any Getrag gurus between Poughkeepsie and the Potomac?

Edited by MattL

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Gertrag Guru’s are rarely found locally 

these days your luck to find one nationally.

recently I sent my 245 from west palm beach to Missouri, metric mechanic company 

they have been the go to for 30 years.

The owner, Jim, informed me that bearings and some Partd can be sourced but, he could 

not find many major parts and he was no longer able to rebuild some transmissions.

He had suggested it was now 240 the go to

for 5 speed

my rebuild plus sourced parts was $ 4000

I am going down this path with AAmco, I will let you know how it goes.  If it isn't doable, then I will go with a 240. 

They did a great job on my 740i.  The folks there have lots of early and mid 80's 3 series, including a 4wd 325 in the shop when I dropped it off. 

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

4 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

my rebuild plus sourced parts was $ 4000

Hi Gary. Yeah, MM seems to be the most qualified shop around, but that's too rich for my blood at the moment. That money's going to my daughter's orthodontist.

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

I've been at MM's shop to drop off a core during my return home from the MidAmerica02fest.  It's not an overly large building on a side hill.  The street level floor is spares storage and the lower level is the working level.  Engines on one side, transmissions on the other.  Spare parts on the walls, transmission output flanges galore.

I chatted a few minutes with an engine builder then turned to the transmission guys who were splitting a 245 case.   They had it apart in a second.  I ask when they would be looking at my core because I wanted to be sure is was accepted for the core return fee.  They said it is mine.  Jim did a gear face inspection for wear, gave the ok.

The whole place did a once over on my car, there was another 02 in the drive.  I went on my way

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

I just had mine rebuilt by Jim at metric mechanics, it is being installed next month, 

If you don't mind me asking, was your rebuild cost in the neighborhood of $4k, like Gary's?

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

I am going down this path with AAmco, I will let you know how it goes.  If it isn't doable, then I will go with a 240. 

They did a great job on my 740i.  The folks there have lots of early and mid 80's 3 series, including a 4wd 325 in the shop when I dropped it off. 

I'm very interested to hear how that goes, thank you. That flock of Bimmers is encouraging. The parking lot of my local AAMCO looks very different. 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs