• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A genuine Alpina car?

ClassDavid

So recently I picked up this 1970 Genuine Alpina tuned 2002. Check out this thread if you haven’t already.

This car is essentially the sister car to that Colorado Alpina. These two cars were order by T&T Calgary back in 1970. I am hoping to find more info on this white car and well I really would like to know more about the engine and how available parts are. This has the 150hp motor, with 300 degree cam and 10.2:1 compression pistons. The engine probably needs to be rebuilt. It does run surprisingly good but the compression results aren’t exactly the best! There is a weber 45 and a weber 40 on it. The two pistons with the weber 40 are @85psi and the other two are 125&120psi.  Must've been driven quite a while like that. Also the head is original but the block is not. I guess my main question is what would you guys do? My plan is to take the motor out and leave it alone and “original” Then build another motor to the same spec. The whole car is a massive project and I am just going to sit on it for now and slowly gather parts. I would really like to see this car as it left Alpina in 1970. No Alpina decals or badges, Just a clean shorty 2002 on original Alpina steelies. I have found three other comparable Genuine Alpina tuned cars and would love to find more. By comparable I mean from 1968-1971 street cars. I know this is before Alpina made cars and this is just a car that was just sent there. When did Alpina start stamping the heads and the blocks? I have two Ti airboxes and I understand they are the same as Alpina airboxes. Is this true?

WQrelCSh.jpg

729DAEGh.jpg

gVLdjnXh.jpg

DMsAuNDh.jpg

mrc2HWXh.jpg

CuHEZZEh.jpg

bmOkTL7h.jpg

puyRhxrh.jpg

hM5aK0Jh.jpg

LVz6o8wh.jpg

jZPMYxvh.jpg

ZGYKmtdh.jpg

7Uug4w1h.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ClassDavid said:

There is a weber 45 and a weber 40 on it. The two pistons with the weber 40 are @85psi and the other two are 125&120psi.  Must've been driven quite a while like that.

....good grief. Who does that?

The Alpina airbox differs slightly from a Ti box in that it has a support plate up to the closest strut bearing bolt. (Google pic) 

Image result for bmw 2002 alpina airbox

Congratulations on obtaining the unobtanium... Others more well-versed in Alpina lore will certainly chime in.

Ed Z 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Yeeahh… that mix-matched carb setup is not a great one.  I would plan to sort that out with a match pair of carbs.  Best of luck on the project, certainly not for the faint hearted.  That tin-worm would lead me to believe you are planning to go bare-metal on the shell restoration? It'll be a real jem when you're done.

I'm always remined of Gary Hesse's old Alpina 2002, where in he added the components separately (but in period).

https://bringatrailer.com/2011/02/10/real-alpina-bits-1970-bmw-2002/

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's awesome! If it was me I would run the piss out of it how it sits, minus doing a little engine work and matching the carbs. Survivor cars are fun!

• Like 2

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 4 months later...

Slowly gathering parts and info. Found the original Alpina stamping on the head. Emailed Alpina with this info and the next day they responded with the info and build date. "special cylinderhead 2000" for 2,0 liter M10 engines built on the 22.07.1970. " I love german efficiency! Looking to get a certificate of some sort if I can. I know a lot of these parts are unobtanium however I am struggling to find anything, even pictures. I plan on restoring to original with genuine parts. I am looking for correct Pre August 1970 date stamped CMR 5.5"x13" CMR borranis with round holes, Original Alpina Ti airbox and bracket, Original paint Alpina auxiliary gauge pod, and an Alpina Momo with correct solid hub. I know it's crazy to think I can find these but I do believe this genuine car needs genuine parts! Let me know what you have and whats out there! Thank you!!

• Like 3

Appears that your car, or at least the engine, was built in the same month as mine.  Attached is a photo of one of the 10.5:1 pistons from my block.  I have a brochure that describes the machining of the head, rods, valves, etc., but it's all in German.

Alpina piston top.jpg

Edited by skyking96w
Additional info.
  • Like 4

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

I have the original block and head.  Will be rebuilt this year.  I need to replace the pistons, will go with 9.5 or 10.0.  Need to make sure we match the pistons to the head, so would be helpful if we knew exactly what Alpina did.  Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you scans of the brochure.

Ray

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

16 hours ago, ClassDavid said:

Slowly gathering parts and info. Found the original Alpina stamping on the head. Emailed Alpina with this info and the next day they responded with the info and build date. "special cylinderhead 2000" for 2,0 liter M10 engines built on the 22.07.1970. " I love german efficiency! Looking to get a certificate of some sort if I can. I know a lot of these parts are unobtanium however I am struggling to find anything, even pictures. I plan on restoring to original with genuine parts. I am looking for correct Pre August 1970 date stamped CMR 5.5"x13" CMR borranis with round holes, Original Alpina Ti airbox and bracket, Original paint Alpina auxiliary gauge pod, and an Alpina Momo with correct solid hub. I know it's crazy to think I can find these but I do believe this genuine car needs genuine parts! Let me know what you have and whats out there! Thank you!!

You will be able to find those parts I think, it will likely take some time, as long as you don't have a deadline you will be able to track them down - or if you do (have a deadline), get your check book out and start writing checks to the likes of Ahrend and or Cahsel, they very likely have some of what you are looking for.  Good luck

• Like 3

I can translate the sheets if you like, as markmac said you will find it all with time. I wouldn't share my money with Cahsel unless it was the last piece you were missing and noone else had it. You might want to look in germany in Ebay kleinanzeigen, their "classifieds" Borranis are often there though due to the shared pattern with Opel. Only 4x98 and the later ones with triangular cutouts currently. 

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight