• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123ignition troubles

2000Touring

Hey BMW enthusiasts,

I'm having troubles getting a spark from my 123ignition tune (USB only). I did everything according to the manual. First made sure the engine was at TDC, installed the 123ignition and found the green LED lighting up. After that I installed the black wire to the coil, like the manual told me. Then put the rotor in and then installed the cap on the ignition and installed the wires according to firing order (CW) (first one to where to rotor was pointing). 

Then tried to start the engine. Engine turned over but nothing happened. Got a spare spark plug which I connected to a wire to see if there was any spark. Still nothing. Also used a multimeter to read the Bosch Blue coil, but the coil is OK. 

Is it possible that there is no curve selected or something?

Thanks in advance for you help! 

I've had the rotor and cap off of the distributor a several times, so I guess that shouldn't be the problem. I will check it again tomorrow. 

Also checked for power at the coil with a multimeter and that seems fine. And I have no tachometer in my car, so that cannot be the problem. 

Edited by 2000Touring

Check the rotor closely, no sign of undue contact with the cap and the middle contact on the cap, that it can press against the rotor? Since you got a green light by turning the body of the distributor at tdc, the distributor is fully seated and actually spinning...? Take the cap off and turn the engine to confirm. then you could check the coil ht lead to the cap for proper connection....

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

10 minutes ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Check the rotor closely, no sign of undue contact with the cap and the middle contact on the cap, that it can press against the rotor? Since you got a green light by turning the body of the distributor at tdc, the distributor is fully seated and actually spinning...? Take the cap off and turn the engine to confirm. then you could check the coil ht lead to the cap for proper connection....

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I will check those things you said tomorrow and I will report back here how things work out. Thank you for helping me!

1 hour ago, 2000Touring said:

I connected the blue wire to the minus/negative of the coil, which is the same as ground, right?

No, it's not. 

Coil negative goes to the contact breaker in the dizzy (or its electronic equivalent).

To ground something connect it to the bare metal of the car body.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

2 hours ago, dlacey said:

No, it's not. 

Coil negative goes to the contact breaker in the dizzy (or its electronic equivalent).

To ground something connect it to the bare metal of the car body.

Ahh, so that might be my problem. Thank you for helping me!

I wired it this way because the negative coming out of the wiring harness is broken. So I made a cable from the negative ground > coil and figured I could just put the blue wire on the coil negative since it's the same as ground negative.

Hopefully the minus from the wire harness is still fixable by putting a new spade connector to it. 

Will keep you guys updated.

19 minutes ago, 2000Touring said:

So I made a cable from the negative ground > coil and figured I could just put the blue wire on the coil negative since it's the same as ground negative.

Run that by me again?

The coil negative terminal is not directly connected to ground. In your case, with a 123, you connect the black wire coming from the 123 to it. If you have no tachometer then there shouldn’t be any other connection to coil negative.  The 123 then switches the black wire / coil negative to ground to charge the coil before making it open circuit for each cylinder as the rotor goes around. This collapses the inductive field of the coil and makes a spark.

If you have a constant connection between ground and the coil negative via a wire then you will never get a spark. That is how the ‘kill switch’ used to stop a motor bike engine works. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

Run that by me again?

The coil negative terminal is not directly connected to ground. In your case, with a 123, you connect the black wire coming from the 123 to it. If you have no tachometer then there shouldn’t be any other connection to coil negative.  The 123 then switches the black wire / coil negative to ground to charge the coil before making it open circuit for each cylinder as the rotor goes around. This collapses the inductive field of the coil and makes a spark.

If you have a constant connection between ground and the coil negative via a wire then you will never get a spark. That is how the ‘kill switch’ used to stop a motor bike engine works. 

Thanks Simeon, that makes sense! Learning something new everyday.

So the only connection to the minus on the coil should be the black wire from the 123. There shouldn't be any other connection to the minus on the coil. 

And the positive side of the coil? Is it right that a wire from the wire harness would connect to the positive side of the coil?

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

Just ground the blue wire right into the hole in the firewall bracket.

image.thumb.png.7f79b2e349e65efbea05aafc90e549b4.png

Thanks, makes sense!

The red and black wires from the 123 connect to the coil.

The coil will also have a positive connection from the factory wiring harness that goes to the ignition.

The coil will also have a negative connection from the factory wiring harness that goes to the techometer

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.