• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Wheel Paint

RFord888

Not to be too ridiculous but wondering if there is a "correct" paint shade of silver for steel wheels 1973 and prior? Having my wheels sandblasted soon and although they will be covered by hubcaps now is the time to get it right. 

Thanks,

Rich

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

They tell me the right stuff is Krylon K01403777..dull aluminum.  You can get a sixpack on line for $56.  I am in the process of doing mine....using 2-part epoxy etching primer after an intense session with an automated wheel cleaner.

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

57 minutes ago, RFord888 said:

Thanks  - and if I remember correctly you scored that nice set!!

Yes... I was very fortunate...checking their balance and straightness before doing any more work on them. 

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

A tip I saw the other day for painting wheels with the tyres in place was to let the air out of the tyre and then slide playing cards between the rim and the tyre. You insert the short side and the go around the diameter inserting them with a 50% coverage of the next one. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 1 year later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, Mark92131 said:

This should help...

Mark92131

I'm going to smooth out a few dings/blems in my Tii alloys prior to mounting new tires and will be refinishing just the fronts for now.

I've always used Wurth silver in the past but  I'm wondering now about this Krylon dull silver mentioned, looks like it may be darker?

May be worth buying a can to find out.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the two?

IMG_1565.JPG

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

BTW those are "early" alloys vs. tii alloys, as they were available for all 2002s.

Würth had problems with their spray cans (or the head) last decade - don't know if it's been remedied.

• Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

BTW those are "early" alloys vs. tii alloys, as they were available for all 2002s...

Thank you, John!

Best regards,

Steve

012390C9-6383-4422-A57E-79E21EEEE8AB.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I stand corrected but not enlightened, thanks I guess...

Thanks,

The point I would make is simply that some of our names and labels mis-lead, especially newer ‘02 owners.

I continue to be surprised by the number of people who erroneously believe, for instance, (a.) 2002’s use a substantially different body from 1600-2’s, (b.) tii’s are substantially different from 2002’s, in far more ways, e.g., windows, sunvisors, doors, hoods, and seats, than they are, in fact, and (c.) ‘02’s were originally outfitted with 14” or 15” rims. It’s probably a quaint and antique thought of mine, but I believe someone owning a classic car should, at minimum, understand the starting point for that car — regardless of where that car is headed today.

Using “tii wheels” — and I’ve heard it for the last few decades, although I don’t recall the term from the 1970’s — leads some ‘02 enthusiasts to think that “tii’s must have come with these wheels”. They didn’t. They were a dealer accessory for all ‘02 models. My contention, however, is that “those rich guys”, who could afford new tii’s, were also most likely able to afford the OEM alloy rims. And, hence, more tii’s ended up wearing the OEM alloys. I wasn’t in that group.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)