• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust manifold stud question

I think that's about what Ace wants, so I'm not saving you any money...

t

same day delivery, tho

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

But I don't think you want to get the zinc plated ones for the exhaust studs. You'll probably just burn off the zinc and die a slow, painful death.

The exhaust studs are black... painted or something? Not really sure what makes them black. They don't have much of to protect them, so they rust easily with the heat cycles.. which, if I am not mistaken, is why they use copper nuts and anti-seize to hold the manifold on. The 4 under the manifold are a bit of a pain to get at when they get stuck...

My local ACE also sells various sizes of them, as "exhaust studs" if i remember correctly.

Edited by flagoworld
  • Thanks 1

'74 Verona

7 hours ago, flagoworld said:

But I don't think you want to get the zinc plated ones for the exhaust studs. You'll probably just burn off the zinc and die a slow, painful death.

The exhaust studs are black... painted or something? Not really sure what makes them black. They don't have much of to protect them, so they rust easily with the heat cycles.. which, if I am not mistaken, is why they use copper nuts and anti-seize to hold the manifold on. The 4 under the manifold are a bit of a pain to get at when they get stuck...

My local ACE also sells various sizes of them, as "exhaust studs" if i remember correctly.

Maybe.

But the nuts aren't copper.

:P

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Maybe.

But the nuts aren't copper.

:P

https://blunttech.com/products/12614890

Are they just copper plated? They felt fully copper when I put them on though.

Either way, my nuts are definitely copper. :P 

39 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

and the black studs aren't painted, the finish is called black oxide.

it provides mild corrosion resistance.

Ah, right! Could not for the life of me remember what was on them. Same coating on impact sockets, right? Seems to dissuade corrosion for a little bit, but those heat cycles..... Bring out the rust in me.

'74 Verona

It's been a very long time, and my brain is addled beyond recognition at this point, but I seem to recall an interchange with a Saturn (L-series?) exhaust stud that had an internal hex recess on it that made installation and removal much easier. I'll certainly be trying to track them down when I have occasion to replace mine - I hate fussing with stud removers.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

36 minutes ago, jimk said:

You stole my thunder!

I stole from you! :D

Ryan, put a magnet on one of your copper nuts.

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Stupid 10x25 studs & nuts  that hold on the downpipe! Been soaking them in mouse milk for days in prep for removal. Todays the day and they are not having it.

Had to give up on that plan and take off the Exhaust manifold & downpipe together.

Then I had to go to town to get a new drain valve for my compressor, guess where?

Yup, 5 bucks at Ace, they had studs as well but not 8.

And by the way... copper smopper! wish I could get my hands on some stainless steel hi temp metric locknuts.

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

Edited by tech71
more sniveling
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Guess its a good thing I had to remove my downpipe and exhaust manifold as a unit or I would never have seen the big crack in the manifold under the heat shield.

Anyone have a manifold they can part with?

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris