• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front windshield availability in 2019?

BarrettN

Are there still reliable sources of front windshields today? I've found some older threads here that made me think as recently as 2015 that getting a replacement windshield wasn't too difficult, but it looks like maybe that's changed. Any good sources? Or is getting a decent quality one from a salvage yard and stashing it away the best bet?

Barrett

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

What might be difficult is a clear glass windshield (and backlight) as used on the early cars (pre about mid 1970 on US cars).  They were getting difficult fifteen years ago; hopefully they're more plentiful now...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You can also purchase Pilkington windshields through BMW. There was some speculation on this forum that the quality of the Pilkington product sold through BMW — surprise, the more expensive Pilkington — was better, but I believe that is conjecture at this point.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Icecube76 said:

I bought my windshield 3 months back from BMW dealer. Original part. I paid 560USD.

Whoa! What marking did it have? Just BMW?

You can almost be certain it would be made by either Fuyao or Pilkington.

Not many manufacturers actually left now. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

15 hours ago, Simeon said:

Pretty common. All of the above plus the massive Chinese manufacturers Fuyao. 

fuyao makes most of their glass for the us market in the usa

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

13 hours ago, Icecube76 said:

I bought my windshield 3 months back from BMW dealer. Original part. I paid 560USD.

My glass guy showed me the catalogs of Mfger's in South Africa.  Pilkington, PPG, etc.  They all offer 02 windshields at 1/3 of the OEM price and at least one of them has been the supplier to BMW.  Only the logo is different.

Some might say the quality of glass is different.  Opinions and facts?

That was a few years ago, so I'm not surprised China has become a major supplier since then.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

6 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

so I'm not surprised China has become a major supplier since then.

Actually Fuyao's largest auto glass plant (and the world's largest) is here in Dayton, OH--they bought the old GM assembly plant that built S10 pickup trucks and the SUVs based on 'em when GM went through their bankruptcy.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite