• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh bugger

SydneyTii

So masked and painted my Octavos 

But........Put the raw one next to them as I was working, suddenly realised I like raw better.

They were supposed to be aluminium paint with a polished rim and spokes.

Think I’m going raw with polished spokes and rim, the non polished bits to be Matt clear coat.

what do you think??

F44FEAD1-DA5F-4490-9395-FECC59764FF4.jpeg

Polishing the outer rim on your wheels to a mirror finish is easily achieved on a lathe.  My guy did it for $25 per wheel.  Polishing the spokes and center might be costly in time or money, whichever you have more of.  I say painted (or clearcoated) center and spokes with a polished lip(rim).  Many combinations to ponder on.  Your particular 02 paint color and your wheels can make a unique statement.

By the way, keeping the mirror finish on the lip is easy if you wipe the brake dust off regularly with a soft cloth.  The dust is a great polish.  Mother's chrome polish works well too.  I don't like clearcoat on polished aluminum for the reasons of yellowing/hazing and the inability to polish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Don't listen to Carl His wheels are legendary  Legendary visions of originality  A Kind  word would be Survivor

My vote would be  1 chemically strip the paint off. 2 Power wash or Vapor Blast  3 Clear the spokes and centers and 4 polish the lip  

Its worth the effort . The wheels will be distinctive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rstclark said:

Don't listen to Carl His wheels are legendary  Legendary visions of originality  A Kind  word would be Survivor

My vote would be  1 chemically strip the paint off. 2 Power wash or Vapor Blast  3 Clear the spokes and centers and 4 polish the lip  

Its worth the effort . The wheels will be distinctive

I’ve seen them in pictures!

Pure work of art?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Or simply install them in the rear, with it jacked up in the air and let it idle in gear while polishing.

Insta-lathe... of sorts.

Tom

• Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

?? I have visions of it slipping off the jack stands careening down my drive and straight into the neighbours house!!

Yes, well, posting that was not a recommendation!

• Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/