• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 Concept paint on @002

BrettD

Hey everybody, I an getting close to paint on my 74. I have been all over the map on color ideas. I have recently decided I would love to try to match the color of the M2 concept car. I think it is a very unique color, and would look great on a classic 02. What do you guys think? Can anyone help me with ideas of how to match this color? It looks to be a 3 stage job to me, maybe a base white with a blue/grey flake and a little blue pearl in the clear??? In some pics it looks to be more white, in some it looks more silver and in others the blue really sticks out. I doubt BMW is going to release the paint code for this one.

PS. I love this sight. I have been reading it daily for over a year while restoring the 74. So many people have added priceless information here. It's incredible, Thank you everyone for all the great content. 

I plan to get a build thread up soon.

Thanks B.     

• Like 1

Here is all the official info I could find on the paint. "The body has been drenched in Space Race Metal paintwork that changes in appearance from a brightly fluorescent blue to grey, depending on the light". Probably going to be very tough to try to match:(

I like grey on a car with chrome.

I also like Briddish Racing Green.

That's my 02, and I's a stickin' with it, better than 1990's GM waterbased.

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, BrettD said:

Here is all the official info I could find on the paint. "The body has been drenched in Space Race Metal paintwork that changes in appearance from a brightly fluorescent blue to grey, depending on the light". Probably going to be very tough to try to match:(

The color looks nice, but be very weary of any "shifting" paint colors, from any manufacturer. (I'm not saying not to do it, but just be aware.) When you're painting the whole car, a good paint guy can make it look great. If you get a ding on the door, with some of these colors, it's nearly impossible to blend a single panel and sometimes you have to repaint the whole car, or just live with it. Ford had some "Mystic" color that they used on Mustangs that had that problem in spades. Just an FYI. 

• Like 2

Great point Seth. I had an e21 323i in sikkens pearl years ago. The wife pulled it in too far in a parking space and smashed the air dam. It took a painter 3 tries to get it pretty darn close in color. Beautiful paint though.

7 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

The color looks nice, but be very weary of any "shifting" paint colors, from any manufacturer. (I'm not saying not to do it, but just be aware.) When you're painting the whole car, a good paint guy can make it look great. If you get a ding on the door, with some of these colors, it's nearly impossible to blend a single panel and sometimes you have to repaint the whole car, or just live with it. Ford had some "Mystic" color that they used on Mustangs that had that problem in spades. Just an FYI. 

"Flop" is an issue with paint that isn't color-changing as well. Any "metallic" or "pearl" paint will be similarly difficult to match, it just may not be as obvious.

That M2 is very similar to Audi Nardo Grey...minus the blue shifting color.....

nardo-grey-family-photo-audi-r8-rs3-seda

2056142896_M25.thumb.jpg.d157b2bb33dfa64

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com