• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salvage yard 2002s - what parts should I be watching for?

BarrettN

I'm new to 2002 ownership - there's a salvage yard that has a couple of 2002s (one hacked in half) that have had a fair number of parts pulled from them. I picked up a driveshaft I needed from this yard and they were reasonable on the price - I'm going back over to see if they have any of the lesser bits and pieces that I've now noticed that my car is lacking. I'm open to advice as to any parts in particular that I should be keeping my eyes open for in addition to the ones I'm going for - any suggestions? I've heard that heater boxes tend to self-destruct and was thinking that might be something to look for - anything else?

Thanks,

Barrett

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Take everything you can wrench off it: Pedal box, any shiny bits, dash, gauges, switches, all lights including dome light, gas tank, all door cards, door window sills ( outer), door handles window handles, centre console, and yes heater box and controls. Also wiper motor, transmission and wiper blades, from windshield if in good condition. Even if you don't need these, they become trade goods to help finance your project.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe slightly off topic, but, is there a diagram of how to  best cut up a 2002 for parts?  Maybe similar to a butcher's diagram to cut up livestock?  I have a '75 that I'm parting but want to make sure I don't ruin any steel that someone else may be able to use.  Maybe the OP could also use it to cut up his salvage yard finds.

• Like 2

Barrett ...I sent you a PM

no1uno....I sent you a PM

Mike

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

the turn signal levers

the emergency flasher button

both are REALLY hard to come by and quite obscure.  and don't know where you live but they shouldn't be all rusty...  good luck. i like what GUY said, pull everything you can and use it to trade as you build up yours.  

+1 to all of the above.  Take EVERYTHING you can get your hands on.  I unfortunately had to let my Dad's '73 2002 go to a junkyard because it was rusted beyond repair.  He had kept it under his deck at his house but it got to the point where he needed it removed.  At the time I did not have the space to keep the whole car or even any of the parts.  So I sent it off the local junkyard thinking it would be there for a while so I could scavenge parts off it when I needed them.  WRONG!  Within about a month it was gone to the crusher.  Engine, Trans, Diff, all gone....  All the glass, in good shape.....gone.  Interior, in relatively good shape....gone.  Boy am I sorry now that I let that go, especially in the future when I go to change the headliner & crack either the front or rear window while doing it and need one!  Even if you don't think you have room or need the stuff...take what you can!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions - it's your fault I'm broke! :) I'll need to go back, but on this trip I got:

Clardy AC evaporator with housing, and console side panels - center console also, but it was really trashed. It had both AC control switches, but the knob for the fan speed is broken off. If nothing else I picked up another hazard flasher switch in the console.

Two lights with buckets - one vintage Hella flat faced H4, the other a sealed beam

Two heater valves

Rear license plate bracket with lights - lights are crazed

Two knee pads in good shape, say 6-7+ on a 1-10 scale

Flag drivers mirror with damaged base and OK glass for a trapezoid mirror

Exhaust center section hanger bracket

Cigarette lighter

Turn signal and wiper controls complete

Right hood seal, not great shape, but mine was completely missing

Cast metal steering column surround piece - the part with the circular hole for the ignition - in poor shape.  I didn't recognize the part, saw where it went, and thought that maybe I was missing it. Turns out no, just that mine is plastic and slightly different, which is why I didn't recognize it.

Two front seat seat belt receivers - the long stalks the seatbelt is inserted into - ok to poor condition.

Pretty good for an afternoon's work :)

20190201_172930.jpg

Edited by BarrettN
added pic
  • Like 3

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Get the whole car. That's what!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2