• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator swap opinions

Tdh

12 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Just a bit of a warning with the W&N radiator if you have air conditioning, it can be a PITA to plumb the lower outlet around the compressor. (It comes straight out like the older radiators).  I think several here have found a hose that works, but it can be tight. 

I have an IE radiator, it is fat, never had a front end bump, but no way I can run the standard fan. Had to go to electric. 

Cheers! 

I had a radiator shop move both the angled lower hose connection and the fan shroud mounts from the old radiator to the new W&N radiator. It works perfectly on my A/C ‘76, and looks quite similar to the original radiator — if that matters to you....

The last photo was taken during the surgery. ?

Regards,

Steve

F876F337-21A6-4938-A899-BD162A94C50C.jpeg

FB20DB68-E77E-4991-A772-F9AA720F530C.jpeg

42DAA1C7-A22A-4491-858C-A696B9A1E4E7.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I put a three row core radiator in my '73 back in 1987--long before the Silicon Garage was making 'em--found a local shop who sourced the core.  It's been in the car ever since and handles the A/C and long hot drives just fine--and that's with an 80 degree C thermostat.

My '69 has a staggered two row core, and does fine (no A/C) most of the time, but at Ofest this year I noticed it was running very hot in stop and go traffic on a hot day.  I think that was partially due to using the original-to-the-69 small, 4 blade fan.  I think with the later 5 blade fan it would have been OK. 

regardless, both perform significantly better than the OEM radiator, and both will accommodate a stock 5 blade tropical fan.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 1/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, xr4tic said:

I put a cheap ebay aluminum Hon-duh rad/fan combo on mine

No long term feedback though, the engine blew shortly after

Test fit:

20160731_120702.thumb.jpg.337a1dc96b38fbb10c3c51c01422d57e.jpg

Narrower than the E21 radiator that was in it:

20160729_210627.thumb.jpg.911e4a9b8aa4219d62e1de4e098f97d7.jpg

That is the same radiator that came in my car...I was wondering what it was from...learned something new today.

6 hours ago, Mario Falfan said:

I like the radiator that Joysterm has, does it keep the car cool? Our summers are brutal in Houston and my ride has a/c and I have the auxiliary fan helping cool things down !

If interested,  contact Patrick at Midnight Motorsports. He's making custom 2002 radiators to order. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 73 Tii that runs hot in 75-80 degree weather, especially when going uphill.  I am concerned because I blew the engine in my 76 2002 25 years ago due to overheating.

I was planning in replacing the dual core with a triple core radiator upon someone's suggestion, but my mechanic thought it would be just as efficient and more cost effective to install an auxiliary fan.

Thoughts in the two options?

TIA.

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

57 minutes ago, M5280RCR said:

I have a 73 Tii that runs hot in 75-80 degree weather, especially when going uphill.  I am concerned because I blew the engine in my 76 2002 25 years ago due to overheating.

I was planning in replacing the dual core with a triple core radiator upon someone's suggestion, but my mechanic thought it would be just as efficient and more cost effective to install an auxiliary fan.

Thoughts in the two options?

TIA.

Do both, but...overheating when running in 75-80 degree weather — that is relatively cool — suggests you might have issues beyond the radiator, possibly built-up crud in the engine’s cooling jackets, water pump impending failure, thermostat problems, timing issues, etc. The stock dual core radiator — in good condition — should have no problems whatsoever at temperatures below 80 degrees. And an auxiliary fan shouldn’t be running once you’ve reached highway speeds. You might want to dig deeper as part of your “cooling system refresh”.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I upgraded to a 3 core rad (from W&N) and Spal fan a few years ago. In the Virginia summer weather I’ve never had a cooling problem. Even in traffic with 110* heat index.

I think the radiator is on sale now at W&N. This weeks specials are on cooling system.

I say do both if you can.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

3 hours ago, M5280RCR said:

my mechanic thought it would be just as efficient and more cost effective to install an auxiliary fan.

Get a new mechanic. An electric fan is not going to help you with cooling anywhere above 20mph. He should know that. 

How about advising you you to get your system flushed and maybe your existing radiator rodded out? The stock cooling system (including an 82 degree C thermostat) is perfectly fine when in good condition and on a stock (or nearly stock) car. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/