• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ac parts help please

Flamingo 5

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Thanks, Rob.

I actually have a 30101505 sitting here, waiting to go in. But when I saw 7.5 and 9.5-Amp fans, I feared the 13-Amp ...1505 might impose too heavy a load....

Feeling better now! ?

Best regards,

Steve

May I ask, at what point is it necessary to upgrade alternator?

and what upgrade requires no

alterations ?

the afore mentioned spal 505

draws 13 amps, how many amps are available to play around with on a oem alternator?

Edited by West Palm 2002

On 1/15/2019 at 11:16 PM, West Palm 2002 said:

May I ask, at what point is it necessary to upgrade alternator?

and what upgrade requires no

alterations ?

You should be at least considering it now, if you’re adding air conditioning. Round tailllight cars — except for tii’s, I think — have 35 Amp alternators. Tii’s and square taillights, I believe, have 45 Amp alternators. There’s a wide range of easy alternator upgrades, many from other BMW models, e.g., e21 cars, 6-cylinder cars. With many (most?) of these upgrades, the regulator is integrated into the alternator, obviating the need for a separate regulator — as all ‘02’s originally had.

Besides discussion threads, I’ll bet there’s an article regarding alternator upgrades.

Regards,

Steve

YEP, here’s one:

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Here’s another question 

i searched Ebay and amazon 

noticed the condensers were all

made in China. I’m not too keen on the quality of Chinese manufactured. I am a fan of Japanese manufactured.

i researched and found the major

supplier to oem Japanese is

( calsonic Kansei) I searched their

site but couldn’t find dimensions only model of cars used in as replacements.

i truly wish there was a sorce of

higher quality componets

12 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Here’s another question 

i searched Ebay and amazon 

noticed the condensers were all

made in China. I’m not too keen on the quality of Chinese manufactured. I am a fan of Japanese manufactured.

i researched and found the major

supplier to oem Japanese is

( calsonic Kansei) I searched their

site but couldn’t find dimensions only model of cars used in as replacements.

i truly wish there was a sorce of

higher quality componets

This is going to be the case for all of the ‘universal’ parts I am afraid. You can scout cars at wreckers to find an equivalent size condenser and the order a new OEM part. This will also be made in China but at least Car Manufacturer X  is putting their name on the part and will stand by it until they work out you have installed it in an old German car. You may also find that the hose fittings on the condenser don’t suit the type of fittings that you might want to work with on your home brewed system. 

From reading up about AC Systems in various places it sounds like you need to stand ready to replace items like driers and condensers relatively frequently as part of the usual maintenance over the longer term. With this in mind, cost and ease of replacement are fairly high up in the criteria for selection for these parts.

i feel your pain here but I think as long as you avoid the cheapest looking eBay specials you will be OK for something that ultimately isn’t a critical component on a car.  

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1+ with Simeon's statement. 

Unfortunately, most everything we need one way or another will most likely be manufactured in China-no matter what name is put on the box.

On some hot rod forums some enthusiasts state (not sure it is backed up by reality) that if it is made in Taiwan, it will be a higher quality part,  but there are no real facts to back that up. 

Just deal with a vendor that has a good reputation and good return policy. They may have a bit more interest in quality control to reduce their hassles  that the "Vendor du Jour" on Ebay.....

I bought a parallel condenser, Sanden copy compressor,  and generic AC kit on Ebay and haven't had any issues with the equipment so far. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

My experience,  I had original Frig King A/C but needed to have compressor rebuilt, etc   so I bought all the parts and gave to 2002 AD and his a/c guys took it from there, they used the my modern compressor and mod the existing support bracket, gave me back my new bracket, new condenser, new fan and used the rest_ hoses, etc,  rebuilt my evap.. as bonus  I gave Ben a extra dash (similar to pic w/o radio)  with E. evap,  E.condenser, E fan_ as bonus.......... so someone that wants to restore to orig... Ben and A/C guys comments were as big of condenser and as big of fan as you can install you can see fan thru grille ... I notice it was pulling my alt dn (which was as I bought car) so bought 85 amp (test 100 amp and when heats up will come down to 85 amp every thing runs better,  The carb adj is when a/c on rpm is normal idle, I have the tea cup carb, w/o a/c on a little high rpm thus my mpg reduced but hot day windows up, modern radio on/vol up I am young again, just need some big trunk speakers for bimmerfest ... loved your post,  tks    L

modern becker radio  look alike.JPG

85 amp.JPG

conpressor.JPG

see fan thru grille.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'67 BMW 1600-2 Sahara/Brown 133,000 ..'73 BMW R90/6 Blk/White pin/s 155,000

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, Vicleonardo1 said:

Stick with SPAL, they are reputable for being honest about their specs and they are essentially bulletproof. 

BIG time yes to this, I tried a generic CFM rated unit that blows half as hard as my new SPAL

1561103817_IrelandFanKit(2).thumb.JPG.af7afcbad9e5199f7bbec1675fb27ffd.JPG

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

31 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Which model is that?

My "Pre A/C" SPAL fan: 30102030 12" Swept Blade, Maximum size for Non A/C fitment.

It doesn't show in this shot but I actually did a radius cut in the top mounting bracket for more air flow.

Soon to be listed as for sale, excellent condition with mounting tabs 

??

444965278_IrelandFanKit(3).thumb.JPG.370ea62c6d17c5cd9de27a8b06cb5c91.JPG

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

4 hours ago, Lucian said:

I knew I was cold … 10 min fwy … tks to Ben 2002 AD A/C guys … L

ac temp fwy 10 min-32 deg.jpg

Frigiking FTW!

:D

• Like 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 1 year later...

Based off reading a lot of your guys comments I've been searching for the parts needed to do a universal under dash kit on my 1973. For the compressor, would this work? It should be a v belt correct?

Can someone confirm all these parts if they'll work or not and if there is anything else I would need?

Thanks!

Compressor, Under Dash, and Drier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-A-C-KIT-UNIVERSAL-UNDER-DASH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-AIR-CONDITIONER-12V/253191356013

10x18 Parallel Condenser

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNFP1018-AC-A-C-Universal-Condenser-Parallel-Flow-10-x-18-O-ring-6-And-8/174195719099

10" Fan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-Radiator-AC-Condenser-Universal-Electric-Cooling-Fan-Push-Pull-1730CFM/273653939403

Universal A/C hose kit and drier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-CONDITIONING-A-C-HOSE-KIT-FITTINGS-DRIER-BINARY-SWITCH-GENERAL-USE-RAT-ROD/311102874423?hash=item486f2d2337:g:SXAAAOSwT6pVpyui

20 minutes ago, Stevenhy92 said:

Based off reading a lot of your guys comments I've been searching for the parts needed to do a universal under dash kit on my 1973. For the compressor, would this work? It should be a v belt correct?

Can someone confirm all these parts if they'll work or not and if there is anything else I would need?

Thanks!

Compressor, Under Dash, and Drier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-A-C-KIT-UNIVERSAL-UNDER-DASH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-AIR-CONDITIONER-12V/253191356013

10x18 Parallel Condenser

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNFP1018-AC-A-C-Universal-Condenser-Parallel-Flow-10-x-18-O-ring-6-And-8/174195719099

10" Fan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-Radiator-AC-Condenser-Universal-Electric-Cooling-Fan-Push-Pull-1730CFM/273653939403

Universal A/C hose kit and drier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-CONDITIONING-A-C-HOSE-KIT-FITTINGS-DRIER-BINARY-SWITCH-GENERAL-USE-RAT-ROD/311102874423?hash=item486f2d2337:g:SXAAAOSwT6pVpyui

Sorry don't know how to edit this post but other things to mention and ask. The M10 I am getting installed is from a 1975. Does that change anything? I read that i'll need a compressor bracket? Any recommendations on that? Should I upgrade my alternator as well?