• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber air flow - valid or hooey

worzella

^^      or a Chevy Volt or Bolt (or whatever they call those things)

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

On 1/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I believe the stock air cleaner is a superior solution, if you can pull it off without hacking out the beautifully domed base.

040.thumb.JPG.19bef3b513aa19575eb29aef56bdb68d.JPG

080.thumb.JPG.6b0684142de6b9df893df787426fd9c6.JPG

For most of us, the air filter and its housing is a necessary airflow "restriction."  Smoothing airflow to avoid sharp directional transitions clearly could not hurt in aiding free flow.  Numerous examples abound of air filter housings that incorporate this concept.  However, as MikeA notes, there are many other airflow restrictions that complicate things for a street car, including throttle plates and manifold and port designs.  And .  .  .  it has been argued that for some applications, turbulence may be both a good and bad thing.  This, of course, raises the numerous par-baked arguments concerning so-called vortex generators. ?    

f3bf5641.jpgKlainL88.jpg

mr1776.jpg

080817-New-Air-Filter-Housing-1.jpg

...for classes where 1 hp is a real advantage, since (by rules, anyway) the cars are

damn near equal.

Again, if you're spending 50% of your day at WOT, this matters.

If not, it slides down the list of things to worry about.

Because there are thousands of ways to make tiny incremental power improvements.

Thus, an e46 goes half again as fast as a 2002 with almost twice the weight and only uses about the same amount of fuel in daily use.  And has heated seats!

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

...for classes where 1 hp is a real advantage, since (by rules, anyway) the cars are
damn near equal.

Again, if you're spending 50% of your day at WOT, this matters.
If not, it slides down the list of things to worry about.

Because there are thousands of ways to make tiny incremental power improvements.

Thus, an e46 goes half again as fast as a 2002 with almost twice the weight and only uses about the same amount of fuel in daily use.  And has heated seats!

t

Listen to toby. I had one of those on my 32/36. Made a little difference... Maybe. But a lot of other things to focus on. I mainly got it to secure my butchered air cleaner to my 32/36 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Interesting thread! I think I may understand (shock) what we're talking about here. I still have my old airbox set up and temped to go back to it, but my carb has been doing really well (knock on wood) for the past 6 months. thanks

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

7 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Listen to toby. I had one of those on my 32/36. Made a little difference... Maybe.

If we all listened to toby, we'd be fast and poor.  It does make a better sound though... so much louder and we all know louder is faster...   ask any 600cc super bike street pilot.

In all do respect though if you look at the converging and flip it around (make it diverging), Porsche actually use a diverging intake manifold runners on newer 911 turbos to cause the air charge to cool due to change in pressure and increase in velocity about 6" prior to port entry.  They claim it's better for the turbo cars by generating a few degrees of reduction in IAT.  Not sure I buy it.  But people have been playing with intakes and slide rulers for a long time now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldguy said:

a diverging intake manifold runners on newer 911 turbos to cause the air charge to cool due to change in pressure and increase in velocity

A diverging section reduces velocity and increases static pressure.  Total pressure remains the same. I assume the object is to gain some pressure at the ports.  Cooling doesn't happen.. 

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.