• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koni/Bilstein struts backordered

RobbieP

What about having Bilstein rebuild your struts/shocks?  I had them rebuild my HD front struts years ago and had them rebuild to the Sport version.  Was a little less expensive then buying a new set.

1969 2002a

5 hours ago, blepley said:

What about having Bilstein rebuild your struts/shocks?  I had them rebuild my HD front struts years ago and had them rebuild to the Sport version.  Was a little less expensive then buying a new set.

Not if they have "old style" guts. There's a recent thread on this. I think it's $129 each for the rebuild and $90 each to upgrade to the newer parts. And 8 weeks. So.

4 hours ago, andyleonard said:

Not if they have "old style" guts. There's a recent thread on this. I think it's $129 each for the rebuild and $90 each to upgrade to the newer parts. And 8 weeks. So.

That was probably me.

I don' know when the "new style" began, but i had my 1990 shocks rebuilt. They were originally done in 1990 and again in 1993 to my specification. Initially, I took them to the shock rebuilder at the Sonoma Raceway, but was told that the parts were unavailable and that Bilstein Poway might have them. Sent them to Poway, and was initially told they had the parts, but in the end they did not, and I had to have some machining done by them for an additional fee. $90 sounds about right per shock whereas the independent shop wanted much more.

In addition, Bilstein Poway said that one of my "front rods" was bent. I sent them another used shock for parts.

I had special valving curves so it took many iterations for them to finally get within 5% of my specification; though they hit it spot on in 1990 and 1993.

IIRC the shocks were initially sent to them in November, I got them back in May, they were wrong, I sent them back and finally got them in June.

More like 8 Months. Each person I communicated with was professional, with e-mail better than the phone.

I recommend you get a set of used shocks from a car you are not using, send those, and then replace when you get what you want.

Bilstein recommends that you cycle the shocks every 6 months, preferably taking them out, compressing them several times, then reinstall. Store in an upright position.

I recently went through the bilstein/koni dance.  Multiple suppliers claimed in stock, only to be disappointed.  Jeff at IE actually had one front HD and a good front used HD and hooked me up.  Much appreciated Jeff!

I found the rear HD set at Autoplicity.com.  At the time they had 5 in stock and I got two.

Interestingly when I took out the front shocks that were on the car they turned out to be Bilstein HDs!  I can't say I was disappointed with them, but I replaced them with the new ones anyway.  No idea on the mileage on them, but if anyone is in a bind and wants them just PM me.  Not really looking to sell them, just pay a fair shipping price and I'll give them to you.

• Like 2

For what it is worth, I've been waiting on Bilsteins for the rear for going on a few months now - as have a few others here on the FAQ, apparently.

Patrick at Midnight Motorsport just advised that they(Bilstein)  finally told him they have no supply or even production ability right now at all and are working on retooling with a different manufacturer and hope to have them rolling by September.... to which I suggested to Patrick if they are saying September, its probably more likely February. 

Thought I would pass it along for anyone in the same boat.  We are going in a different direction to get the car done and will address when and if they ever become available.

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

1 minute ago, Dan Seattle said:

For what it is worth, I've been waiting on Bilsteins for the rear for going on a few months now - as have a few others here on the FAQ, apparently.

Patrick at Midnight Motorsport just advised that they(Bilstein)  finally told him they have no supply or even production ability right now at all and are working on retooling with a different manufacturer and hope to have them rolling by September.... to which I suggested to Patrick if they are saying September, its probably more likely February. 

Thought I would pass it along for anyone in the same boat.  We are going in a different direction to get the car done and will address when and if they ever become available.

This sounds like a possible blind alley. Waiting X months for retooled shocks from a different manufacturer at an unknown price softly suggests we identify a work-around. 

I need high-end shocks to go with H&R springs and big bars for a nasty street/occasional track day car. Dead Bilstein Sports came out. The budget for full-race stuff isn't there.

Dan can you comment on "a different direction?" 

Parts geek has rear shocks listed as available.

Depending on your situation and money. If you need it to be immediately roadworthy.  Maybe gamble on some POS KYB’s.  They may just last long enough until the Bilstein’s are available again...tounge firmly in cheek...

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Yup on the rears.  And we have those.  Needing the fronts though, that is what they don't have.  Good point on being Bilstein's guinea pig on a new supplier. 

15 minutes ago, andyleonard said:

Dan can you comment on "a different direction?" 

Patrick is recommending we use KYBs up front for now.  So, that is what we are doing.   There was a time, a long time ago, when I was informed enough to know the difference but now admit I am relying on Patrick's advice which seems pretty informed to me... I should add: this is just a sunny day driver.  No tracking.

Understand KYBs may not be ideal, but as everyone knows, this has been going on for months and we are pretty well ready (well, almost) to roll the car and its been months already. So, I asked Patrick if he had to use broom sticks Id prefer that for now versus holding up any longer what started as a modest little freshen-up project and has now ballooned into a nearly 20K update.  Yikes.  :-)   Which I should hasten to add, no slag on Patrick for the timing at all.  He is awesome.  I'd not hesitate to bring anything to him and/or recommend him to anyone.  .We've just been led along by Bilstein.  Wish Bilstein had been more candid and/or transparent.  I suspect they have burned some good will up here.

Looking forward to getting the car back; KYBs, Bilsteins, or bailing wire, at this point.

Edited by Dan Seattle
Added a sentence

Just checked the Summit racing website and they show a shipping date for the B8 rears of today and for the other Bilsteins a shipping date of 8/6.  I have ordered a lot from Summit for my other cars and their shipping dates are usually accurate, but not always.  If the shipping dates were too far in the future it was easy to cancel the order.  They did not charge my card until the items ship.  And no, I do not work for Summit.

I am sure that is a good faith statement by Summit but I would not put any weight in it.  Patrick advised he was able to reach someone directly at Bilstein - not a middle man - Bilstein itself and they told him nothing before September. Which frankly, for reasons described above, I suspect means not very likely in September either.

Its like on the airplane and they tell you a 15 ground delay.  You can count on it being 30.

I remember in the day the KYBs were cheaper than dirt and wickedly/unpleasantly stiff. That's ancient news. However, I have recent KYBs (I didn't do it) in an E23 745i and - wait for it - they're wickedly/unpleasantly stiff and rattle the whole car. Better than broomsticks I guess.

What's up with Koni? Thyssen-Krupp buy the Netherlands or something?

I'd really prefer the Koni Sports for the lowering and adjustability. Can't we cross over to some other Eurocar Koni with a spacer or something?

Good question. With coilovers getting vw rabbit struts with spacers is what some use.  Can those be used with more spacers in stock height strut tubes?  There has to be other cars with similar sized struts.  

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

No attempt to hijack. But has anyone tried Stagg struts? Crops up on EBay search. 

I was checking Into them awhile ago. But all I can find was a few off-roaders liked them. But nothing on their struts/BMW. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.