• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CRUNCH!!

02Anders

Hi Anders,

Rotten luck.

At least no one was hurt.

All fixable by the look of it.

i have classic agreed value insurance on a historic plate.

so astoundingly I get the same agreed insurance pay out (god forbid) but I pay a fraction of the cost, I am limited in the number of days I can drive but it equates to every weekend so it’s not so bad.

i had a large (imagine the Aussie 4wd) hit me.

They overshot the lights, which then turned red, leaving them in the middle of the junction, they realised they’d be blocking the other traffic so just slammed it in reverse, you can guess the rest. They ended up on my bonnet/hood.

i needed new bonnet, windscreen, wing, belt line trim because they pushed the bonnet hood trim into the door trim which pushed the door trim to the quarter trim (that bit was weird) still new trim!!

oh and bumper, plus lots of other bits and bobs.

The good news was I found an excellent local restoration place, does loads of E-types, Mercs etc etc really beautiful work.

He understood exactly how you would be feeling, saved as much as he could and replaced the rest. It looks great and I was super careful as mine is a sweet Tii.

im sure with the quality restoration places in Europe you will be fine, just fine someone that is empathetic to your view point.

Good luck, get some pics up when it’s done.

love the wheels btw the way?

• Like 1

That's really it, isn't it?  Just have the common courtesy to stop and own up to what happened.

It'll be alright, eventually- it's just going to take a while.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you weren’t hurt. Time and money will fix it. I have the same alloy wheels on my Alfa... if I had a spare I certainly would offer you one, but as you stated they are rare. Who manufactured them? What does your reference to L.O.W. stand for?

• Like 1

Very very sorry, Anders!

Fortunately, most of the parts are fairly easy to find — yes, a single NOS Italian-market left turn signal will take some time! And the L.O.W. rim is almost certainly repairable.

Get a dash cam.  At minimum, it will make you feel more empowered to prosecute a case if something similar happens again — hopefully, it will not.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Nooooo! Damn it. So sorry to hear of this - it truly sux, Anders. And what a piece of shit that other driver was...

Of course, glad you're fine, and hopefully it's mostly fixable, but ugh.  I know how you cared for your Green Devil.

My deepest condolences,

Tom

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

First of all, a big thank you to all of you who have replied either here or on ViaRETRO.  Your kind words and support genuinely mean a lot to me right now.

You are of course right, the damage to the bodywork is of course fixable.  I know that my Green Devil will both drive, race and live again.  It's just that it's such a nuisance!
Frankly, my biggest concern is whether I'll manage to find a left side Italian front indicator.  That'll be a big challenge...

7 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you weren’t hurt. Time and money will fix it. I have the same alloy wheels on my Alfa... if I had a spare I certainly would offer you one, but as you stated they are rare. Who manufactured them? What does your reference to L.O.W. stand for?

The alloys have LOW written on them (as part of the casting).  I also have a set of original LOW center caps which however need a bit of work before I can use them.  But I haven't managed to find out what those three letters stand for.  Presumably the abbreviation stems from the Italian alloy wheel manufacturers full name??

And yes, as long as we don't find any hairline cracks in the alloys, they will definitely be refurbished and should be usable again.

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Simply shitty.  This makes me want to fast track my cage.   

P.S

The tire looks kinda shredded, especially the sidewall.  Did you try to drive it home?

I was angry, frustrated and perhaps half a mile or so from home.  So yes, I limped home at 3mph on the already ruined tyre resulting in the sidewall shredding.  Don't care...

So onwards and upwards I suppose!

• Like 3

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Bummer!  Here in the US leaving the scene of an accident (even when there are no injuries) is unlawful--although without injuries (can you clutch your neck?) at least our cops aren't real interested in pursuing the perps. 

Just finishing the repair on the opposite end of my'73.  None of the sheet metal had to be replaced, just dollied out, and all the bits I needed were available except the rubber bumper strip (NLA) which I was able to straighten with a dead blow hammer and some wood blocks, and the US (no license plate light holes) center bumper section.  Found an excellent shop in Knoxville TN that does nothing but straightening, repairing and re-chroming vintage car  bumpers (Knoxville Kustom Khrome).  My formerly bent and twisted bumper looks better than new.  And fellow Dukie Mike Pugh came up with a pair of NLA 73-only rear bumper brackets to replace my somewhat flattened ones.  Interestingly I discovered the round tail light housing is stronger than the sheet metal that surrounds it.  The housing actually deformed the rear panel when it was hit, with no damage to the housing itself. 

So...your damage doesn't seem to be any worse than mine was and it's all being repaired nicely, so the Green Devil can be made whole.   But it's still a nuisance--and very discouraging--to deal with.  Keep us posted on the repairs.

cheers

mike  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

ThxMike for your supportive words.  Appreciate it...  ?

I'm glad to hear that your '73 is just about back on the road again.  And I know you're right - my Green Devil will of course be the same soon enough.  It's just that the whole process is somewhat annoying.  I liked the patina which my Green Devil displayed with pride.  Some of that will be lost now.  And I also just wanted to get on with entering historic hillclimbs here in the UK, all of which will of course be delayed now.  But stil, we will get there in the end...

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

31 minutes ago, irdave said:

I'll just leave this here in case you hadn't seen it...

Thx Dave,

But hasn't Danco more or less left the 02 scene??
I could be wrong, but I believe he sold both the 1600-2 and the tii, and is now into air-cooled 911's...
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

20 minutes ago, 02Anders said:

Thx Dave,

But hasn't Danco more or less left the 02 scene??
I could be wrong, but I believe he sold both the 1600-2 and the tii, and is now into air-cooled 911's...
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Anders. I'm never gone, I just don't come around much. I have like 20 messages in my inbox I need to go through.

I still have a handful of 02s and some 911s, but my focus lately is on living life, not wearing shoes, and more 911s than 02s at the moment.

But yes, I can help with you turn signals. I have another batch of 5+ to be ready by late this month, of which I  sell to the guys on the waitlist, then offer for sale.

Cheers.

Thanks Lorin for bringing this to my attention. 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

26 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Hey Anders. I'm never gone, I just don't come around much. I have like 20 messages in my inbox I need to go through.

I still have a handful of 02s and some 911s, but my focus lately is on living life, not wearing shoes, and more 911s than 02s at the moment.

But yes, I can help with you turn signals. I have another batch of 5+ to be ready by late this month, of which I  sell to the guys on the waitlist, then offer for sale.

Cheers.

Thanks Lorin for bringing this to my attention. 

Danco, that's excellent news!  ?

Both that you are living life, but equally that you are still an 02 owner and present in our little community...

I've actually just received an email from a friend in Germany who apparently has a Italian indicator in his stash.  I'll have a chat with him tomorrow to find out which condition it's in and how much he wants for it.  Should I end up not buying that for whichever reason, I'll certainly ask you to put me on your waiting list.

Thx for getting in touch Danco. ?

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.