• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Distributor. Which one?

11 hours ago, Simeon said:

As Toby would point out, these cars have one camshaft (well, maybe 2) but about a dozen different distributor combinations. Just verify that the 180 005 is the one originally installed on your engine. I wouldn’t trust 123 to get that right but at the same time I would not rely on what you find being installed either. 

Could these “weird engine vibrations” be ‘pinging’ (detonation, preignition etc)?

How did you set your timing? Ball at 1,400rpm? Again, when you are verifying the distributor model from the BMW manual check what timing specification they give for that distributor.   This assumes that you are timing it to the book. 

Thanks  for your advice Simeon.

I do really think it´s the original distributor.  I own this car for more than 25 years and when I bought it it was in pretty stock condition. Now it could be the only remaining orginal part in engine bay as I replaced almost every part with new ones.

With ¨weird engine vibrations¨ I mean the car feels like softly pushing back and forth when in 2500 rpm´s. (don´t know how to explain this it in technical words...)

Although the overall driving feeling is good,  my doubts arose because next to the distributor also replaced the Bosch Blue coil by the red one.

I also want to point that my mechanical skills only go as far as tightening bolts...

The timing was set with no timing light so i guess that´s the issue.

Will check today again with a skilled mechanic, and experiment with curve 0 as well...

Edited by michaelbend

Got a timing light today and WOW.  What a difference.  It just took about 5 minutes.

Some years ago got a Crane XR-700 that failed after two years and left me stranded. Hope this new toy lasts longer.

I'm still confused about what the correct curve would be, or the most appropriate.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-04-20 a la(s) 18.25.50.png

Edited by michaelbend

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

My first 123 lasted for 16K miles before it had to be returned for a replacement due to oil infiltration into the cap. The second one lasted 16K miles due to oil infiltrate into the cap. In the interim I was using the Ireland Engineering unit.

On my 3.0 CSi with 30K on the 123, sent back due to oil infiltration into the cap.

123 claims it's too much crankcase pressure is the cause.

I think it's a manufacturing defect. On the original Bosch there are milling helixes which pull oil down the  shaft away form the cap. 123s have a smooth shaft with a single O-ring to prevent oil from migrating into the cap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, michaelbend said:

The new electronic ignition makes a big big upgrade over points. 

I would not blame the points themselves.

If you were to install fresh Bosch distributor running points (which are properly set), using a curve that suits your engine (just one), I'd bet money you would not be able to tell the difference between that and a 123 from the driver's seat.  Or on a dyno, for that matter.

I am guessing the 123 is replacing a distributor that is in need of refreshing. 

I'm not knocking the 123, just defending old world ingenuity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I would not blame the points themselves.

If you were to install fresh Bosch distributor running points (which are properly set), using a curve that suits your engine (just one), I'd bet money you would not be able to tell the difference between that and a 123 from the driver's seat.  Or on a dyno, for that matter.

I am guessing the 123 is replacing a distributor that is in need of refreshing. 

I'm not knocking the 123, just defending old world ingenuity.

Absolutely. This car run fine on points for years.  Always reliable and available.  But now the distributor is showing its more than 40 years on.... and also liked the idea of never dealing with points again and "modernizing" the old ignition system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adawil2002 said:

My first 123 lasted for 16K miles before it had to be returned for a replacement due to oil infiltration into the cap. The second one lasted 16K miles due to oil infiltrate into the cap. In the interim I was using the Ireland Engineering unit.

On my 3.0 CSi with 30K on the 123, sent back due to oil infiltration into the cap.

I think it's a manufacturing defect. On the original Bosch there are milling helixes which pull oil down the  shaft away form the cap. 123s have a smooth shaft with a single O-ring to prevent oil from migrating into the cap.

Neither of the 2 units passed the 16K??? Now I'm scared.

8 hours ago, michaelbend said:

Neither of the 2 units passed the 16K??? Now I'm scared.

Keep on mind, I drive my Tii 18,000+ miles a year. So your mileage may vary. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

13 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

I also have this issue. Leen APK is not interested in admitting any fault or providing relief.

• Sad 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

I also have this issue. Leen APK is not interested in admitting any fault or providing relief.

I've yet to see a mfr that would admit to a fault, or they would be swarmed with recalls and lawsuits.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 minutes ago, jimk said:

I've yet to see a mfr that would admit to a fault, or they would be swarmed with recalls and lawsuits.

What about Boeing? ?

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 hours ago, ray_ said:

What about Boeing?

Safety issues aside.  Also the govmnt might stop issuing contracts to them.

On a commercial issue with no govmnt mandated issues or safety items, it's a matter of how much you can p.o the customer base before it hurts economically and/or if the product life is short due to technical evolution.  Seems like there is a lot of business out there other than BMW owners that 123 considers it not a problem.

You guys need a drain with a "catch can" for it. :wacko:

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, ray_ said:

I could machine in a spiral... ?

I can see a technical article in the future.,. That and a big can of electrical contact cleaner  

On a serious note, you took one apart didn’t you Ray? Did changing the o ring out seem achievable? The scrolls could be cut by hand with a small carbide tip in a die grinder. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/