• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone every bought one of these rebuilt steering boxes?

Crash513

1 minute ago, Simeon said:

It could be a worn out 50 year old box with new seals and a clean up. 

Yes to this.  The exchange units are all cores received from people who thought that unit wasn't working properly.  So they exchanged it for a rebuilt one.  Since we don't know what parameters the re-builders use to decide which units to rebuild and which ones to trash, it is a crap shoot as to the quality of the box you get in exchange.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Off-center steering box backlash (play) is normal and gets worse the farther the steering is off-center.

This doesn't matter because the cornering load takes up that backlash.

Rack and pinion steering doesn't exhibit that phenomenon. 

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I just recently bought one on sale because for a hundred bucks it couldn't be that bad.  They returned the $200 core charge to my PayPal account immediately after receiving the old box.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Mine is a '74tii and the rebuilt box that I received back even had the proper date code on the housing.  We (a vintage mechanic and I) opened it up to inspect it and some of the parts were new while the others looked used but in excellent shape.  I would not have replaced the parts that were used either because they were so good there was no need to replace them.  The box came lubricated with grease rather than oil so it won't leak but they did replace all the seals.  My mechanic told me that using grease rather than oil would make no difference in wear or performance so we left it.  The box has been installed and so far seems really great.  No play and plenty of threads left for adjustment.  The only issue we had was that the box was a bit tight upon arrival.  I adjusted it per the BMW factory manual and it is perfect.  I would not hesitate to get one.  For a hundred bucks, the steering is fantastic and it looks like it will last a very long time.

• Like 2

Hi again all.

Thanks j2000tii fir sharing your on handa experience.  I've enclosed the reply I got to the eBay inquiry I made on this.  I also called the rebuilder and spoke to one of their techs.  I asked him if they really replace any worn  internal components. He assured me  that they go through everything  and replace whatever parts are needed . When I challenged him about the availability of certain parts, specifically the gears  he stated  "we have ways of getting any parts we need".  So they do seem quite confident  in the quality of their product.

I have no idea how they're making any money here but it does seem  like it's worth a try as they guarantee  their work .  As for my car, upon further examination with my mechanic we determined  it didn't make sense for me  to replace my box now.  It looks like mine is actually pretty crisp,  and the tie rods, link and pitman arm all have new bushings and are all tight and solid, so it appeaers they were replaced previously by the prior owner.  Unfortunately, it looks like  most of the looseness I'm experiencing  is from slop in the lower control arms , ball joints ,  and clapped-out  struts  all of which I'm replacing right now.  Hopefully I wind up with a better handling experience in the end!

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black

Rebuilders will sometimes lower prices to start moving certain stock and replenish their rebuildable cores.

BMW did this with some crate motors decades ago.

Shoulda, coulda.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Most, if not all of the components in the box that I received were new or they sure appeared new to me and my mechanic.  As for the price, those of you who own your own business will know that companies reduce prices for so many reasons.  There is no way to know why these guys chose to reduce the price.  Could have been for the reasons that Steve stated.  Could be overstock which also can be for several reasons.  Might be for cash flow or marketing.    Companies are in business to make money but that does not always mean charging high prices.  They do what they do to maximize the bottom line.  In any event, why doesn’t matter for the end consumer.  For me, for a hundred bucks, there was no downside.  Their customer service was excellent.  They credited my $200 core charge the day after they received my core.  Yes, I tracked it.  The box I received works perfectly and even has the correct date code on the housing which makes me very happy.  In my case, they were flawless.  I hope that everything that I buy has the same customer experience.  When I was in business, I was always a huge fan of perceived value pricing and used it well.  What I will guarantee you is that price is not always a measure of quality.  As I said, these guys did a fabulous job for me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ugh, just my luck as usual, missed out on the $114 price, they are now $395.  ?

• Like 1

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to ask: what’s the latest on steering box rebuild/replacement?  Mine is serviceable, but at the end of its adjustment life.  I have also seen a thread in which posters reference an Argentine company that manufactures the replacement parts.  All info welcome.

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Oh, wow- they have a source for worms!

Pricey, but I can't imagine anyone's getting rich making these,

as they are very much not trivial to create.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 11/9/2018 at 10:17 AM, tashakes said:

Ugh, just my luck as usual, missed out on the $114 price, they are now $395.  ?

Must be the tariff on Chinese goods. ?

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Well it's actually a good thing I didn't get it. My issue was the tie rod ends and center link so I didn't need the box. Those took the play completely out of the steering.  

Edited by tashakes

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg