• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

studs and nuts, alternator adj. bracket

Rastadog

Hi, I’m replacing the alternator adjustment bracket bushings. The nut is stuck: the stud is backing out. I PB blasted the nut. Should I take the stud out, replace bushings, screw it back in and hope the nut tightens when I put it back in? Take it out and give the nut and threads a good soak? New stud and nut? I’m not mechanical and appreciate the help. Thanks Alex

D2F6A942-0856-44D0-956A-6BAA2F50990C.jpeg

Rastadog ( Alex) 73 Tii, 2018 VW GTI with 3 pedals.

32 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

The bracket may not be deformed, as I recall some brackets have a bend-y to get alignment.

Since the stud can be removed:  remove it, remove the nut, clean the threads, then re-install everything.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl, How can I tell? This bracket has been on my car for a long time. My spare is off another tii, same year, flat as a board. 

Mike87, That makes the most sense. I’ll try and order today. Is there anything I should put on the stud threads prior to installation?

Thank you both. Alex

My 75 carb car has a slight kink and it is intended to be that way and needs to be installed the right way for alignment

Other posts indicated that POs often thought it was bent and hammered them flat

Post a pix of yours standing on its side. I will try to find pix of mine when it was out recently

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Good morning, It turns out the stud is NLA. I soaked it in PB Blaster overnight. I’m tempted to put it back in so I can break the nut by tightening. The bushings were in good shape probably because the jut wasn’t tight on the stud. The bracket that came off the car, black, and my spare are the same and both surprisingly flat. I’m hoping to get the adjustment bracket back on and tight. I’ve ordered new hardware, except stud. The fan belt has been a PITA since I’ve owned the car, 27 years. Car hasn’t run since 2011. This is the last thing I need to get done prior to starting. So first thing getting the nut off stud without damaging stud. Then see if I can tighten it . Thanks Alex

CEDA1DFF-5803-4037-82CE-A0BF82A71B69.jpeg

90004AC9-CD19-410F-9CCC-0D4D8E42E9BD.jpeg

BD1F97E3-AF77-408E-88D5-110A315E92A4.jpeg

Keep looking for a replacement stud, For future reference, it's usually possible to use two nuts jammed up against each other on the free side of the stud where the threads are still good then use a box wrench on one of them to hold the stud while turning the original stuck nut to free it. There must be suitable studs available someplace. Good luck.

Edited by 7502

4 hours ago, Rastadog said:

It turns out the stud is NLA.

IIRC that's an ordinary 8 x 1.25 mm stud--should be able to find one the proper length at your friendly hardware store.  Actually yours looks OK; once you get the stuck nut off (use 7502's trick above) you should be able to reuse it.  

4 hours ago, Rastadog said:

The fan belt has been a PITA since I’ve owned the car, 27 years. 

While you have everything out, replace the rubber bushings in the alternator with urethane ones.  The OEM rubber bushings turn into black goo from heat and oil, and will allow the alternator to cock to one side, thus both accelerating fan belt wear and causing it to both squeal and get out of adjustment easily.  Urethane bushings will solve all those problems.  

And be sure to get the correct belt--not only length but width.  A too-narrow belt will ride low in the pulley and overheat, causing it to stretch, get out of adjustment and eventually break.  Notched belts run cooler.

All the above learned by experience!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, Rastadog said:

Carl, How can I tell? This bracket has been on my car for a long time. My spare is off another tii, same year, flat as a board. 

If your car is a tii, the adjuster bar is flat.  From your "underneath vantage point" pics, it appears your car is a tii, right?  

Those two flat adjuster bars look exactly like the one on my tii, FWIW.

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Hi All, Thank you, I will try and seperate the nut and stud using the two bolt method.

Mike, Thanks for the size. I would be like to use a new stud if possible. I figured you could get it somewhere. I have a set of urethane bushings. I was hoping the adjustment bar bushings were shot. Thought that would be a quick fix just to get car started. I was disappointed to find them intact. I really didn’t want to drop the sway bar.

Scott, Thanks, it is a tii and both bars are flat.

My 80 year old friend Gunther is coming over Monday. German born and trained. he raced factory 1600 ti’s and owned the first BMW dealership in my area selling and repairing our cars under warranty. He has a wealth of experience which he has generously shared while helping me with my car for over twenty years. Before he gets here I’ll go stud shopping. 

Again Thank you to all who have chimed into help. I have a serious lack of mechanical knowledge. Alex 

If you cannot find a stud, you can always make one. Even if you find one that is too long, cut it to length and you are golden. Not finding a stud, use a bolt and cut the head off. There are many ways to solve this issue.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Mike, Thanks, I just sent a note to a supplier. I’m going to try and get the correct one. If I’m going to pull the alternator to replace the bushings dropping the sway bar in the process I might as well fix it right. Monday I’ll try some local places. Have a good weekend. Alex