• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex 40 PHH help

And then extrapolate the distance between the access plate surface and the line in the outside? I thought there was some spec for measuring the actual level by going to the bottom of the bowl with something porous. My articles are out in the cold garage!

Edited by Hans

On 3/14/2018 at 3:57 PM, Tim of Capitola said:

I've got some NGK BPr6es coming today from Amazon. The plugs in the car were BPR6ETX's, very dark and strong gasoline odor

I don't know anything about PHHs, but you shouldn't mix and match resistor plugs with the bakelite resistor ends of stock wires of a stock ignition system.

They should be BP6ES' or similar or you should not have resistor wire ends, as on later cars or other permutations of ignition systems.

Interesting: This is what NGK said:

As the resistor spark plug has an incorporated resistor, some people think that it has adverse effects on start-up, acceleration, fuel economy and emissions. However, this is wrong. It does not affect engine performance so don't hesitate to use it.

square.gif Resistance vs. power

Right but you only need 1 resistor per wire and the stock BMW ends have a resistor already built in so you don't need/want a resistor plug, if you have non stock wires you'll need to measure them for resistance before deciding on a resistor or non resistor plug.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 3/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, jgerock said:

There is an Alfa Romeo guy on ebay who sells Solex 40PHH parts - very reasonable prices.

Venturis, gaskets, jets.

IMG_6512.jpg

OwnersmanualSolexcarbjets.jpg

OwnersmanualSolexcarbsbottomview.jpg

OwnersmanualSolexcarbstopview.jpg

F69203AB-CBE8-4DCB-ADBC-BC3CAC5AF788_zps

Is there a factory recommendation for Solex jets to be used when fitting the factory 300 degree Sport Cam?

43 minutes ago, Flunder said:

Is there a factory recommendation for Solex jets to be used when fitting the factory 300 degree Sport Cam?

I would start with the stock 2002ti jets then upsize the main jets. I did this with my 292 Schrick cam engine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"