• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member has some questions and need help

Mojan

Hi All,

I am a new member here who is interested in BMW 2002.

I have an 1970 MG Midget which I drive it for weekend coffee and do some repairs on it in my garage.

Now I would like to buy a 1969-1973 BMW 2002 and have following question:

1. Where is the best place to purchase one?

2. what is the price range for a decent one?

3. Is it easy to find parts? are the part pricey?

4. How is the maintenance?

5. how complicate is it if I want to repair it my self ( i always repair my 1970 MG).

6. Any Advise please?

I just need this car for weekend coffee or drive it to work ( 15 mile in town), no racing...

I prefer it to keep it  stock.

Edited by Mojan

Hi Mojan,

welcome to the board. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. This board will answer all of your questions and more. 

A few comments below:

23 minutes ago, Mojan said:

Hi All,

I am a new member here who is interested in BMW 2002.

I have an 1970 MG Midget which I drive it for weekend coffee and do some repairs on it in my garage.

Now I would like to buy a 1969-1973 BMW 2002 and have following question:

Depends where you are. Where are you located?

Again, a lot of this depends upon your local market but also what you consider ‘decent’. Good, unrestored cars can still be bought reasonably but be aware that the 02 is in the middle of a rising bubble and people may try and sell you an overpriced car with problems (we can help you out there too). 

Compared to other classic cars? The parts are available and reasonably priced. I would guess that they are about as available as MG spares and if you shop around can be very reasonably priced. 

4. How is the maintenance?

Maintenance is easy, the cars are well made but simple to work on. Like most old cars the biggest problems are related to bad workmanship and failings of previous owners. 

5. how complicate is it if I want to repair it my self ( i always repair my 1970 MG).

About the same. You would need to get some metric tools. 

6. Any Advise please?

I just need this car for weekend coffee or drive it to work ( 15 mile in town), no racing...

I prefer it to keep it  stock.

There is an excellent book that you should buy and read from cover to cover. This will tell you all about the car, its variants and how to buy a good one. 

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-02-Restoration-Guide-guides/dp/1855204517

when you are looking at cars, feel free to post pictures and any issues and the brains trust here will help you out. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

4 hours ago, Simeon said:

Hi Mojan,

welcome to the board. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. This board will answer all of your questions and more. 

A few comments below:

Depends where you are. Where are you located?

Again, a lot of this depends upon your local market but also what you consider ‘decent’. Good, unrestored cars can still be bought reasonably but be aware that the 02 is in the middle of a rising bubble and people may try and sell you an overpriced car with problems (we can help you out there too). 

Compared to other classic cars? The parts are available and reasonably priced. I would guess that they are about as available as MG spares and if you shop around can be very reasonably priced. 

Maintenance is easy, the cars are well made but simple to work on. Like most old cars the biggest problems are related to bad workmanship and failings of previous owners. 

About the same. You would need to get some metric tools. 

There is an excellent book that you should buy and read from cover to cover. This will tell you all about the car, its variants and how to buy a good one. 

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-02-Restoration-Guide-guides/dp/1855204517

when you are looking at cars, feel free to post pictures and any issues and the brains trust here will help you out. 

Thanks for your nice reply.

im living in California (Bay Area)/ San Jose.

Greetings, and welcome to the fraternity/sorority.. Lots of info on the FAQ for the would-be 2002 buyer/owner, to which I would add three suggestions:

1.  Don't get "buck fever" and grab the first one you see, unless it's really nice.  BMW sold 77000 2002s (plus another 13,000 1600s) in the US, so there are plenty still around, especially in California.  

2.  Better to find a sound body that needs mechanical work than good mechanicals in a rusty body--unless you're a really good welder and body worker.  And CA is the place to find (relatively) rust free cars.  

3.  When you find a good one, jump on it.  Prices are rising very quickly, just in the past couple of years.  While this sounds just the opposite to #1 above, it really isn't.  And don't be afraid to ask for advice on the board.  Lots of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable folks here to help you.

cheers from a long time owner

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I bought mine without any research. After I bought it I had nightmares about the work ahead of me. However luckily I bought a sound body needing mechanical work. Quickly I realized parts are easily available, reasonably priced and things are put together simply. Not too many gotcha tricks in working on the car. 

Car is now all finished and one of my favorite things

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Looks like a nice car, I would probably entertain switching the engine back to a more period appropriate setup ( but keep the 5 speed), although I have a tii motor in my 69. You might look into the smog requirements having an 82 engine. It’s would not be that great to have to smog it.. that being said price is in the ballpark, but a bit high if you want to make it more stock. Nothing really wrong with the 82 FI engine a little more electronics you have to deal with, but fairly reliable. 

John B

Sacramento Ca

69 2002 (tii)

17 minutes ago, johnsboyd said:

Here is one to consider: 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-bmw-2002tii-excellent/6499585566.html

the almost rust free part would need to be run to ground!

tii models are probably the best bet in my opinion for holding value and drivability. 

I don’t like the square tail lights.... that’s why I said 1968-1973

1 hour ago, johnsboyd said:

You might look into the smog requirements having an 82 engine

If the CA title says 1969, you won't need to smog it in CA even with that motor.  If it was coming in from out of State, (CA), they usually verify the VIN numbers match the title, but no smog certificate required for 1975 and older.  Importing from overseas to CA is a different deal, DOT restrictions, original emissions components make it more difficult.

Mark92131

• Thanks 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Seeing as you are in California, especially being in the bay area, I would touch base with the local enthusiast group and see what is available.  In that way your chances of finding a clean-honest car is much greater vs. a craigslist/facebook flipper job.  Here's a start .... note that SteveK is this board's benevolent dictactor.  If you make it out to one of the meet-ups with your MG, I'm sure someone will swap keys with you for a bit.

Very tough to say.  Mid '71 and earlier did not have the exterior knee trim, and featured a classier interior.  They are the more desirable "purer" design.  An honest project car should be between 5k-15k, depending on condition.  A bare metal restoration "done right" will set you back 50k-125k.  An older restoration or good "driver" will be between 12k-40k.  Note the wide ranges.

It depends on the part.  Most consumables are readily available.  Trim is increasingly tricky to source and is becoming more expensive by the hour.  I had to wait two years for BMW to make more door panels, and when they did, they sold out in a couple days (now NLA).   
If you are looking for parts or even a bit of service, and not sure who the experts are, I'd suggest looking at this map.  It contains the shops/suppliers that I respect the most after dealing with hundreds of them over the past several years.....  http://adamsautosport.com/distributors/

4) How is the maintenance?

If you have a good set of wrenches, it's going to be quite a bit of fun for you (given your experience).  2002's are VERY easy to work on compared to just about anything else out there.  There are a disproportionate number of Engineers who own 2002's compared to a couple other car groups I have been a part of.  Something about appreciating a good driving experience and logical mechanical layouts.

5) how complicate is it if I want to repair it my self ( i always repair my 1970 MG).

You will be fine, see above.

6) Any Advise please?

DEFINITELY get the book Simeon linked to.  Also download the .pdf copy of the factory "BlueManual" here on the site.  You sound like a "teach a man to fish" kinda guy, which means you will fit right in here.  Keep an eye on http://www.bayarea02.com for when the annual 2002 show will be held this year.  A lot of us are very vocal about our opinions, but at the end of the day, they are worth what you paid for them.

2002's love to be driven, and to be driven hard.  That is at the core of why they are becoming so popular.  The design, etc. is just gravy.  Note that I know of at least two (young) LeMans 25hr winners who prefer driving their 2002 over anything else while on the street.

AND WELCOME! Best of luck on your hunt.

Edited by AceAndrew

A nice, rust-free roundie is probably going to be mid teens and up, assuming nice condition all-around.  It seems to me that certain colors drive demand (and hence the price), and certain colors are less sought after, and seem to draw lower prices.  So that is a factor.  Here's a link to a chart of the 02 colors, so you can get a flavor.  Not all colors were available in all years.  

As others have said, you are in a good spot to look, geographically.  Here in the midwest it is a little different.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

The Bay Area is a great hunting ground for 2002's. So is southern California. Good luck! Talk to and meet up with some of your local 2002 owners... They will be happy to help you.

Colors: People are nutso for Inka and a few other paint codes. Easier to buy and plentiful: Chamonix, Malaga, Sahara, Siennabraun, Polaris, etc. 

My first 2002 was found in northern Alabama. It was sold new in Montgomery, AL. Very little rust. It was tired, yet complete. It needed brakes very badly. Then it needed an exhaust manifold, a shifter rebuild, lots of hoses and belts, a clutch, a guibo, shocks,struts, etc. However, there was very little down time. It was 'Okay" once the brakes were redone. I had a great learning experience and a lot of fun. My current 2002 was sold new in Austin, TX and spent most of its 'life' in Texas. I bought it last June.

Besides the advice you have already received, be a good judge of the seller. I have found that if I am comfortable with the seller, things work out fine. If something is a bit off, I won't buy the car.

I am including a photo of me as the newb in 2004:

1916996_1022026168539_7601909_n.jpg

Edited by Jim_75Sahara

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz