• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic transmission shifter brushes

mosman58

Before you start laughing...those brushes look a lot like brushes on various vacuum cleaner attachments.  You might try taking one of your old ones to a vacuum cleaner store (or look on-line) to see if you can match 'em up.  The ones I've seen have metal backs holding the brush bristles in place so can be cut to length, bent to shape and/or pieced together so they'll fit.  

Just a thought (definitely) outside the box.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Jay just did mine. They look great. His method is to glue the strips to the back of the plastic console piece with contact cement. Different from original but I see no harm. Should work fine. Price was reasonable considering they are NLA and the worn out ones look like crap.

4 hours ago, dirving said:

Jay just did mine. They look great. His method is to glue the strips to the back of the plastic console piece with contact cement. Different from original but I see no harm. Should work fine. Price was reasonable considering they are NLA and the worn out ones look like crap.

What was the cost?

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

As you can see the brush that I bought is way to long. Trimming these is a PITA to say the least. They are plastic brushes. I need to source some "real hair" brushes. Tried in the beginning to trim them with scissors but that is dang near impossible to get them strait. I took out the dremel tool and it was much easier. However, they all melted together at the ends. I took some time to separate them and here is the result after glueing them in place. The bristles are way to close together. 1st try =Fail!

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg