• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN Decals in door

tii74

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

I believe the U.S.-mandated stickers were applied at the factory, just like sealed-beam headlights, sidemarkers, U.S. emissions controls, etc.

It was there, I think, when I drove the car out of the baby delivery room at BMW Munich :rolleyes:

But from a liability and penalty point of view, BMW as a company would not let these be applied, the federal emissions equipment and required safety equipment installed by some other agency.  In addition the stickers would be all over black market cars that didn't meet the federal laws.  See VW, you shouldn't have done it!

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I have interest in this thread as my car does not have the original doors and, therefore, no VIN decal. My car’s VIN is 2760851 with a production date of 01/28/1972. I found photos of VIN decals, on BaT, of cars produced before and after mine to confirm the appropriate decal design. One thing that confused me is the manufactured date of 2/72 on a car with a VIN earlier than mine. I read earlier in this thread that the decals were applied at the factory, presumably at the time of manufacture.  The photo below is of a tii with a VIN of 2760749. Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Tony

5aa02e1b44767_VINdecal2760749(2).jpg.3d224a01391aa02db293bb4e46540e7d.jpg

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

As for cars produced around 1974, I am staring to think that the tii cars had stamped VIN labels into 1974, and the non-tii cars had perforated labels staring ???.  I haven't been able to narrow it down, other than the examples of what appear to be original labels posted here. Keep posting your labels here !

On 3/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, Ensign said:

The photo below is of a tii with a VIN of 2760749.

That shows the "stamped" font pretty well.  In earlier posts you can see that the font I used is smaller/chunkier.  Personally, I'm happy with my font size.  I'm not trying to fool anyone.  Just have a valid VIN and MFG date.

Attached is the print-ready artwork for the sticker I had produced.  It was printed on 3M reflective silver vinyl and clear-coated.  The scale and font is very close, but because I didn't have the ability to die-cut the circular "anti-removal" perforations in the vinyl, I created fake impressions of the circles.  Maybe a pro printing shop can reproduce the circular perforations properly.

EPA_STICKER_DOOR FOR PRINT.tif

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

2 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Attached is the print-ready artwork for the sticker I had produced.  It was printed on 3M reflective silver and clear-coated.  The scale and font is very close, but because I didn't have the ability to die-cut the circular "anti-theft" perforations in the vinyl, I created fake impressions of the circles.  Maybe a pro printing shop can reproduce the circular perforations properly.

Thanks Paul. Do you have the dimensions of the decal handy?

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

Here is the sticker from my base '74 manual, VIN 4222575.  The ink is gone, but "2/74" imprint is visible under "Motoren" and "57" of the VIN, very faintly, under "fact" of "manufacture".  I think that is consistent with what Conserv concluded in an earlier post.5aa190749707d_bmw2002vinsticker.jpeg.thumb.jpeg.ff188d8b5916723f3518ffb9ca053ea8.jpeg

On 3/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, Ensign said:

I have interest in this thread as my car does not have the original doors and, therefore, no VIN decal. My car’s VIN is 2760851 with a production date of 01/28/1972. I found photos of VIN decals, on BaT, of cars produced before and after mine to confirm the appropriate decal design. One thing that confused me is the manufactured date of 2/72 on a car with a VIN earlier than mine. I read earlier in this thread that the decals were applied at the factory, presumably at the time of manufacture.  The photo below is of a tii with a VIN of 2760749. Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Tony

5aa02e1b44767_VINdecal2760749(2).jpg.3d224a01391aa02db293bb4e46540e7d.jpg

The VINs are not built in a strict numerical order, they can be off by as much as two weeks and the stickers don’t always match the actual build date.  I have a database of US e9 VINs with build dates to confirm.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

On 3/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, HBChris said:

The VINs are not built in a strict numerical order, they can be off by as much as two weeks and the stickers don’t always match the actual build date.  I have a database of US e9 VINs with build dates to confirm.

Chris,

I’ve not yet captured any BMW Archives-issued ‘02 manufacturing dates more than one or two work days out of sequence.  Occasionally owners reporting their car’s manufacturing dates accidentally provide a “deliver to Hoffman Motors” date in lieu of the manufacturing date.

I’ve surmised that sticker dates, and final manufacturing dates — as published by Archives — were only assigned when a car was considered “complete”:  a missing or obviously defective part might take a day or two to rectify, for ‘02’s!

But e9’s are much more complicated, more “hand built”, and built in much smaller numbers than ‘02’s.  I can easily see these missing or defective parts on an e9 taking a week, or two, to rectify, hence the sequence discrepancies on e9.

Separately, regarding Tony’s 2760749 door sticker, recall that BMW could crank out 50+ tii’s in a day, just to put things in perspective.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve,

You could be correct as the e9 was built by Karmann but they made 5000 a year for six years or around 100 a week.  My data seems to indicate that perhaps color played a role.  I still think if a car was completed late in the month it could have a different month sticker from the actual build month.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

3 hours ago, HBChris said:

.... I still think if a car was completed late in the month it could have a different month sticker from the actual build month.

I’ll buy into that theory, Chris!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)