tii74

VIN Decals in door

86 posts / 4438 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Does anyone know where to get replica VIN stickers for the door? 

4E4DF1A8-6F70-4CC3-812C-3662BF247056.jpeg

Edited by tii74

Paul Wegweiser has used a guy in Poland to reproduce them. Perhaps you can PM him. I don't remember the details.

I created artwork for this sticker with faux perforations and had 20 copies printed (minimum order) on 3M reflective stock. I gave all away except one.

5a70a8b7db1ca_EPA_STICKER_DOOR1copy.jpg.e76b4063a7c2b360c5e73447e5bd346b.jpg

Because the sticker was originally rubber-stamped ( up to 1974) with the VIN and date of manufacture the ink has worn off on almost every one I've ever seen.   You will need a rubber stamp and permanent ink to restore your numbers.  From 1974 onward the VIN and MFG were perforations not stamps.

PM me for artwork if you are interested.

• Like 2

(edited)
On 1/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, Cruzr said:

Paul Wegweiser has used a guy in Poland to reproduce them. Perhaps you can PM him. I don't remember the details.

Yes, and I, too, got some — just in case.  You’ll note that the square taillight cars use the “b” and “c” versions of the sticker (“b” or “c” in lower right corner), whereas pre-‘74 uses “unmarked” versions. Car weights differ slightly between the “unmarked” and the “marked” versions.

If only I could recall the exact name of the firm! It’s Car-bone, or something similar.  They have a website and the stickers are on the website.

I’m all-too-familiar with the perforations used on 1975-76 cars — and I believe 1974 used the same perforations.  Below is the sticker from my ‘76.  I’d bet Car-bone(?) could handle the perforations.  Each digit is four holes wide by five holes tall.

Regards,

Steve

5A8102E3-CE73-4B18-A5F4-DAAC98D1D522.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

And, if you’re fanatical about details, I noted in an earlier Car-Bone (noboco) thread that there is, indeed, a VIN sticker version between Paul’s version (used before 1974) and my ‘76’s version (used after 1974).

Here are my notes from the earlier thread:

“I saw a version on a 1974 tii and it differed from my '76's sticker in three ways:

1.) In the first line, "2002 tii" appears after the comma following "2002". The first line, therefore, reads "BMW 2002, 2002 tii".

2.) the lower case letter, enclosed in a box, at the lower right corner was "b" rather than the "c" which appears on my '76 sticker. This suggests to me that the letter at the lower right corner might represent the sticker version. If that is the case, my '76 sticker would possibly be the third version, the version I saw on the '74 tii would be the second version, and a first version would appear on earlier cars. How about posting some photos, fellow forum members?

3.) the sticker did NOT use hole perforations to represent the manufacturing date and VIN, as my '76's sticker does. The manufacturing date and VIN were not visible on the '74 tii's sticker so I presume the '74 tii's sticker had originally used fugitive inks for manufacturing date and VIN.”

Here’s the complete thread to which I am referring.

Thus, there were at least three versions of the door-mounted U.S. VIN sticker: an un-marked version, a “b” version, and a “c” version.  And there were at least two methods of marking the stickers: ink and perforations.

The photo attached below, from this thread’s original post, shows what appears to be a “b” version (“2002 tii” in the heading) with perforated VIN numbers.  But I have seen an inked version of the “b” version, suggesting the changeover from ink to perforations occurred during the “b” version’s tenure!

I’d bet that Kamil (Car-Bone) could make a “b” version of the U.S. door-mounted VIN sticker if that was important to you.

Regards,

Steve

E2B50844-34F4-4D7A-8338-EE0962452095.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

46 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Hi Steve,

I was just reading that exact post when I came back to our thread :)

Just to clarify it is Car-Bone ;)

And yes we can do the perforation, the "cut out" circles, and change data ;)

Cheers!

• Like 1

Here's mine. 1973 2002 built in Nov 1972. Might be time to get a repro.db9f271169f6c552e580198fc0e7b05d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Steve,

My '74 Tii manufactured 4/74.  As you have said date and ViN must have been printed in ink which is no longer there.  'b' version.

Best,

Glen

IMAG0233.jpg

(edited)

Thank you, Glen!

So wouldn’t it be convenient if your inked “b” version, April 1974, was dated before the (presumably) perforated “b” version?  😉

Photo 1.  April 1974, ink manufacturing date and VIN

Photo 2.  July 1974, perforated manufacturing date and VIN

Photo 3.  April 1976, perforated manufacturing date and VIN

Best regards,

Steve

A3412BDC-5A4D-4436-B859-FF3DA726AF44.jpeg

4FA56587-3E18-43AD-B737-07A38EEDE2C1.jpeg

IMG_0602.JPG

Edited by Conserv

24 minutes ago, Conserv said:

So wouldn’t it be convenient if your inked “b” version, April 1974, was dated before the (presumably) perforated “b” version?  😉

Steve,

I went back and looked and ran my finger nail over the decal.  Although not clear in the picture my 'b' version decal is perforated.

Glen

My '74 tii decal (top picture) has the VIN and date perforated.  07/74

• Like 1

I may be misunderstanding the perforation part of the discussion.  My whole decal is perforated but not the MFG date nor the ViN.  Both are gone. Must have been ink that went away.

Glen