• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Day Today.....Schnitzer Engine back home....

markmac

It is dry sumped, it has a Schnitzer internal dry sump pump, very similar to a standard pump as far as looks, only cast in magnesium.  I have heard it referred to as a 'semi ds pump' not sure why really.  Only two stages (which may be the reason, most dry sump pumps have at least 3 stages and some 5 or 6 now), one pressure in and one scavenge out, you can see the inlet/outlet on one of the images above.  Actually a little bit of a concern in that the tank is mounted in the trunk so that pump has a lot of work to do to draw oil from the tank and then push it back through a cooler back to the tank.  I have a NOS AlpinA 3 stage externally mounted pump, however got too far in my build before I acquired the pump.

Not sure on the weight, I would think the TC head adds some based on two steel camshafts, a cam carrier and other misc.  That said the crank is lighter than a standard car, carillo rods, then the oil pan, upper timing, valve cover and slide throttle housing are all magnesium, so a little bit lighter,  They also carved the crap out of the inside of the crankcase, removed alot of extra material and then polished it (apparently helps the oil return back to the sump when its being flung off the crank at 9000 rpm....so the overall block is probably a little lighter....but not much.

They did run the engines with the Alternator mounted in the standard position, so yes.  AlpinA shifted as much rearward to compensate for the weight distribution, so this one does have a special alternator, not sure what planet it came from but has a magnesium cast housing (Ken B helped me with this one getting it rebuilt/restored) - a thing of beauty really as far as alternators goe..... and having to compete against alloy block BDG Cosworths.

Amazing stuff.  You're giving us all rides at some point, right?  :)

Seriously awesome job on all of this.  I admire your patience.  It is paying off.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

That image is a really good one.  Early.  They were running an expansion tank on the water pipe, pretty handy and eliminated the one you would have to mount on the body/engine bay.    The pic below was one of the last.  For some reason they changed valve covers first was black with the alpina script, last one was gold, no script.  Early on no air box, later on, air box (which I have).  I had the valve cover machined to accept that script (which I am having made).

Ended up changine out the yellow wires this weekend - for some reason the Magnecor wires were messing up the data acquisition on the dyno (no idea how.....) so we switched to the 7mm radio suppression wires and solved the problem.  The Magnecor set had the original set of Schnitzer spark plug connectors on them (need to find out what other car BMW used them on, they stick up nicely above the valve cover) - Magnecor supplied a grommet that sealed off the opening with the plug connector - super clean.

Rides?  Why not.

17201156_1834421396583376_7357748519788116153_n.jpg

002.JPG

Edited by markmac
  • Like 1

I have posted this before, but will re-post.  One at idle, the other on one of the runs up to 8300.  It will go to 9500 but really doesn't make much power after 8500 and has a rev limiter at 9000, and we found out the hard way what happens when you run into that (rev limiter somehow was marked at 8000 and kicked in on one of the runs....it stops the motor very quickly and from what I understand somewhat in violent manner.  You can tell by the one video with the run it would keep on going....much different sound than any 8v M10 motor, very distinct.

Edited by markmac
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kpatler said:

What were your HP/Torque numbers?

I only have the first dyno run when I was there (days of the videos), max hp 260 @ 8300rpm, Torque 164.1, max torque 175.7, 251hp @ 7500 rpm.  I know that some tweaks were made after that and the numbers were slightly better, still need to gather up all the paperwork.  The engine was built to 'last' (as much as 'last' can mean with a high hp race motor), compression is less than 11 (like 10.8:1).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 10/11/2017 at 9:53 AM, markmac said:

I only have the first dyno run when I was there (days of the videos), max hp 260 @ 8300rpm, Torque 164.1, max torque 175.7, 251hp @ 7500 rpm.  I know that some tweaks were made after that and the numbers were slightly better, still need to gather up all the paperwork.  The engine was built to 'last' (as much as 'last' can mean with a high hp race motor), compression is less than 11 (like 10.8:1).

260 at 8300?? holy schnitzer

Boy that is an old thread resurrected.

Final tally was 270 @ 8400 with some fiddlin'. but that is it for this motor - no mas (without upping compression and changing cams).  Pretty good for a 2.o normally aspirated motor.  Looking forward to driving it (some day).  Soooooo muuuuuch wooooork.

Oh hell yes, the song of a m10 on overload, makes Eddie VanHalen sound tame. Build update??

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way