• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally back on the road!

EPK

I never post but had to share this.

I rebuilt/refreshed my engine and then it sat.  I had a low back issue that prevented any wrenching right as I was ready to slip the engine back into the car.

Then, I tore my rotator cuff and it sat again for 9 months with the new (to me) 5 speed a half inch from being mated to the engine.

Well, it's all in and I just took a quick drive.  I've driven it twice prior in the neighborhood while I sorted a few things.  72 mph is  about 3,000 rpm's :).  It was fantastic.  It's ready for the rally at the end of the month.  Now I just need to put in some miles and make sure everything is sorted.  

I also installed a Speedhut GPS speedometer rather than using the mechanical one.  I have used these in older British cars and love them. This one has the BMW logo and blends in well.

Speedhut GPS Speedo in 2002.jpg

• Like 6

Glad to hear everyone is back on the road to recovery!  I like that speedometer.  Couple of guys in Austin use the SpeedHut goods.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

nice.  the speedhut website says odometer included, do you initialize it to any number?

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

14 hours ago, yeewiz said:

nice.  the speedhut website says odometer included, do you initialize it to any number?

Yeewiz,

You can set the odometer to any number.  In the past, I ensured that it matched the odometer that I was replacing. This time, I left it at zero given all the engine work.  It's very straight forward, easy to setup and install.

iinca and zinz,

Thanks for all the kind words. 

The SpeedHut Speedo provides more than just mph and odometer readings.  You can see 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, top speed, etc.  I wire mine to the ignition.  This means it takes a little longer on startup to connect to the satellite.  You can wire them to be on all the time if you like.  There isn't any significant power drain but there really isn't any huge issue with the way I do it either.

They will recommend placing the antenna (think XM style square magnet) on the roof.  I simply hide my wiring behind the dash and place the little antenna in the center of the dash.  Most people never recognize that it's there.  

It only cost me $10 to add the BMW logo.  You can really customize the dial quite a bit more if you like.  I bought this one direct from SpeedHut during a promotion they were having.  My first one was purchased off of eBay and used in an MG.  It wasn't customized.  

The other big advantage is how bright the display is at night.  It's really easy to see once the sun goes down.  

I hope that helps.

Erik

• Like 1

thanks! and congrats on your recovery!

• Like 1

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

• 3 years later...

Hey All, I realize this is a 3-4 year old post, I bought a SpeedHut speedo, cause my speedo, failed, then came to life, and then went backwards, and promptly broke the speedo needle off!

My question is on install help!!

It looks like EPK’s install is behind the factory gage cluster, (Beautiful install!) My  car is a 74, w/ the same wood grain background.

the Bezel is too large to spin on from behind, so How did you secure the speedo into the Cluster??

Thanks! Jeff

I think it can be mounted flush and blend well in the cluster but disassembly of the cluster is required.

This will help, some fitting required. It's a process, not plug and play.

Lots of info out there, google;" BMW 2002 gps speedo"

http://rato2e.blogspot.com/2015/12/gps-speedometer-installation.html

image.jpeg

F1F89174-D386-49F5-BCC2-7D2EB3B827AB.jpeg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris