• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Posted (edited)

My hood release cable reached the end of its life several days ago. I ordered a new one from Blunt. It arrived today so it’s now fixed. PN 51 23 5 480 164 

IMG_1788.jpeg

Edited by 72pdx02
  • Like 6

My car came to me with one key that only worked in the ignition.  

since I’m close to finishing my door panels I figured it was time to re-key the door locks to match the ignition.  

The doors were so quick and easy that I decided to do the trunk too, which took easily 2x as long as the doors due to that f’ing ring that should’ve been a snap ring.  But, now it’s done and I have one key that does the trunk, doors and ignition.  This car is becoming somewhat civilized. Can’t imagine what it’s going to be like to drive around with a mostly complete interior soon!

IMG_0985.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Adjusted my choke properly(at least better than the shop that installed my carb). It now starts immediately from dead cold.  After a test drive I verified the butterflies were open.  It was embarrassing to need two or three tries to start it.  

Edited by Eissmann
Spelling
  • Like 5

On 5/13/2024 at 8:55 AM, AceAndrew said:

@Mark92131  Like the bracket solution.  Looks slick.

Painted the uprights and the areas behind the headlight brackets black.  Authentic brush stroke pattern, haha. Also painted the front portion of the radiator with Eastwood’s radiator paint.

Test fit the front grill to make nothing visually jumps out from behind.  Fun fact, I bought the grill in 2012 when BMW did a batch of them.  Price was $107.  Glad to finally see it on the car.

Got the header back from ceramic coating from the boys at Raw Powdercoating (LongBeach).  They do fantastic work, enthusiast owned/operated.

Thanks to Jesus at CK for the E9 3.0cs OE spark plug wire loom, another little period touch.  Mounted it with some standoffs, but will likely get some more thermal protection for the wires.

….. and it’s finals week!  First final is tomorrow morning. 

IMG_0101.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

Those standoffs are a nice touch! I should do that for mine on my M10. Great idea. Is that a BMW part or you just buy metric standoffs? If the latter, what and where did you get?

Those headers! 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

26 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

Those standoffs are a nice touch! I should do that for mine on my M10. Great idea. Is that a BMW part or you just buy metric standoffs? If the latter, what and where did you get?

he provided a link in this link

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Finally installed the 'rescued' stock rear and passenger seat today, long time coming. Stripped seat bottom, back and passenger seat down, cleaned and supported the springs with some vinyl. Added 2" cotton padding to the bottoms and back to create a layer between the horsehair and covers, it will compress to about a 1/2" for a little 'body'. The Gobi tan was faded and unattractive, so all panels were colored using leather and vinyl dye from Rub'N'Restore. I've used their products before with success on furniture and boat interiors. No affiliation, I just like it when I find a product that performs as expected.

One coat of walnut as a cover coat on the Gobi, followed by two coats of tobacco, finished with their sealer. 

What I began with:

rearseat.thumb.jpg.9fbae5fb5227903073bc6e9dc6ad6d43.jpg

And the refreshed:

rearseat2.thumb.jpg.f65a33cf973491b118b8a638b9bf80b1.jpg

Not perfect, but satisfactory. Driver's seat is next, it will require a bit more surgery due to split seams in the perforated sections, and I want to put the seat on some risers. But....

I might just throw a indian blanket over it and go for a drive... or tackle one or two of the many other projects awaiting my fractured adhd focus....

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 21

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

On 5/23/2024 at 6:59 PM, OldRoller said:

Finally installed the 'rescued' stock rear and passenger seat today, long time coming. Stripped seat bottom, back and passenger seat down, cleaned and supported the springs with some vinyl. Added 2" cotton padding to the bottoms and back to create a layer between the horsehair and covers, it will compress to about a 1/2" for a little 'body'. The Gobi tan was faded and unattractive, so all panels were colored using leather and vinyl dye from Rub'N'Restore. I've used their products before with success on furniture and boat interiors. No affiliation, I just like it when I find a product that performs as expected.

One coat of walnut as a cover coat on the Gobi, followed by two coats of tobacco, finished with their sealer. 

What I began with:

rearseat.thumb.jpg.9fbae5fb5227903073bc6e9dc6ad6d43.jpg

And the refreshed:

rearseat2.thumb.jpg.f65a33cf973491b118b8a638b9bf80b1.jpg

Not perfect, but satisfactory. Driver's seat is next, it will require a bit more surgery due to split seams in the perforated sections, and I want to put the seat on some risers. But....

I might just throw a indian blanket over it and go for a drive... or tackle one or two of the many other projects awaiting my fractured adhd focus....

looks awesome. I like your choice of color. Thanks for the product recommendation, I jotted down the name for future interior work. I have fabric seats, but my door cards and pulls need some love. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NMDerek said:

I broke some tii stuff... let the google begin, help? I was just reading about it but can't find the page, ugh

image.jpeg.741c8fa34e7151ee79d17ac6be396a2f.jpeg

What did you break? I can’t tell from photo. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

Installed driver door side weatherstripping. Half was missing and made door rattle. 
discovered the alum trim the seal seats into was missing two forward rivets so I installed new. Otherwise easy install. 

image.thumb.jpeg.795443bc9dd92b4b5a3b181f29c47d45.jpeg

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

What did you break? I can’t tell from photo. 

the weird linkage of the throttle, the two linkages with nubs? cant find it in my google history sigh , my first tii exp, learning is fun... and reading, ha. oem here i come

Edited by NMDerek

FINALLY finished up the front partial front end refresh. New driver’s side Bilstein in a newly powdercoated housing, new urethane end link, new rotor and Porterfield pads, IE fixed camber plate and new MVP control arm (which needed a lot of material removed to work, unfortunately. Thank you, Sait grinding wheel)  Forgot to take a finished product photo but here’s a before and after of the replacement sketchy control arm ball joint bolts that came on the car. Double nutted with the bottom nut barely grabbing any threads. 

IMG_3643.thumb.jpeg.2f4d83c4ed6a705c1bce56f972f77f09.jpeg

Much better. 

IMG_3644.thumb.jpeg.124e034cdc3dc23d67f97c3d96f34350.jpeg

Bonus in-process photo. 

IMG_3645.thumb.jpeg.086628450e3e23f098cd9a1784309f13.jpeg

• Like 4

Thought my fuel pump went bad but through some more testing and inspection it appears I’ve simply got an engine compartment fuel line air leak. Making some improvements…

• Like 3

Rebuilt my rear sunroof board/done light panel.  I coated the side without the white coating with polyurethane to help it last longer against moisture.  Small but rewarding.  Just need to attach the brackets  and foam padding.

Before....

20240301_072428.thumb.jpg.2cd6f1fe80d5948fcae83aaf625bac39.jpg

After...

20240527_105200.thumb.jpg.4924c4e7591ff77423e9e357122ef759.jpg

20240528_071020.thumb.jpg.c4ffa4c46618987e484034f3d58f06fb.jpg

• Like 3

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive